Standalone Psychopy won't start -- Scipy / minpack2 issues?

Hi,

This is a bit of a doozie (and different from the other threads I found upon searching).

Basically, I’m running a 64 bit version of Windows 10.

I recently installed Standalone Psychopy 1.85.0 (32 bit) to replace an older version (downloaded in Dec 2016) because that version suddenly stopped working on my computer. It turns out that this new version doesn’t work either.

What was happening was that after clicking on the icon, the splash screen would appear, and then disappear with no application launched. This happens for both versions of Psychopy.

The Command Prompt gives the following output when ran from there:

I entered: “D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\python.exe” “D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\Lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\psychopyApp.py

And got:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\Lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\psychopyApp.py”, line 62, in
app = PsychoPyApp(0, showSplash=showSplash)
File “D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app_psychopyApp.py”, line 118, in init
self.onInit(**kwargs)
File “D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app_psychopyApp.py”, line 163, in onInit
from psychopy.compatibility import checkCompatibility
File “D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\psychopy\compatibility.py”, line 4, in
import psychopy.data
File “D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\psychopy\data.py”, line 18, in
from scipy import optimize, special
File “D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\scipy\optimize_init_.py”, line 232, in
from .optimize import *
File “D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\scipy\optimize\optimize.py”, line 37, in
from .linesearch import (line_search_wolfe1, line_search_wolfe2,
File “D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\scipy\optimize\linesearch.py”, line 18, in
from scipy.optimize import minpack2
ImportError: DLL load failed: La procédure spécifiée est introuvable.

This problem persists when I do a clean install of Standalone Psychopy 1.85.0 on a different laptop with a totally new installation of Windows 10 having no other Python setups on it. It also persists when I install Psychopy in Anaconda.

If someone could point me to whatever packages I ought to install, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Frustrated Panda / Luke.

EDIT TO ADD: Yes, I’ve tried clearing out my .cfg files, but that hasn’t worked either T_T

It looks like a problem not necessarily with psychopy, but with some libraries it depends on and Windows. A search for “scipy.optimize import minpack2 not found” in Google turns up several results all offering different explanations and solutions, so I don’t have a lot of specifics to offer you.

So you’re going to have to go on a bit of a hunting expedition. The first thing I would check is to see if that file it’s trying to import exists…

But looking at your question again, you have 64 bit windows, why install 32 bit psychopy? One of the random Google findings mentioned that being their issue. Maybe try that first?

I installed 32 bit PsychoPy because PsychoPy’s download page doesn’t even offer a 64 bit option for Windows.

Also, as I’ve mentioned, PychoPy won’t work under Anaconda either, despite promises that Anaconda should be guaranteed to have all these packages PsychoPy is complaining about.

I’ve been fishing for days and at this point, I think I’ve decided to give up and learn OpenSesame instead. Thank you for your help nonetheless!