PsychoPy Builder not creating HTML folder

Hi @Becca, no change when I add the extensions.

I’m having the same problem. Any solution to this?

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago which I managed to fix by just typing “html” in the output path of the “online” tab in experiment settings. Like this:

It creates a html folder and now my experiments work online for Pavlovia. For local debug to work, you have to delete html from the output path, leaving output path blank.

3 Likes

Thank you for the comment. I had same issue, adding html in output path solved the problem for me.

1 Like

Dear all,

Newer versions of PsychoPy do not create a html folder anymore for a few important reasons. Please see this post for more details PsychoPy Builder not creating HTML folder

Thanks,

Becca

1 Like

Hi Becca,
I checked the resources files and they were all uploaded properly to Pavlovia. My experiment only worked when I added “html” to the output path in experiment settings.

Does anyone know how to change the output path? I saved my experiment and files in a folder on my desktop and now that I am trying to get it online, I cant get it to change.

1 Like

Hi There,

Best to make a completely empty folder, copy over only the .psyexp file and any supporting files (e.g. conditions.xlsx files or stimuli files) and then try a resync. The issue is if you try to sync a file on you desktop, it will try to send ALL of the files from your desktop to pavlovia. Following this there may be hidden .git files also on your desktop. Make a completely fresh folder and try the resync.

Becca

1 Like

Becca,

Where am I creating this new folder, on my desktop again? Or somewhere else on the laptop?

Kind Regards,
Enna

Hi Enna,

It shouldn’t matter - so long as it is a fresh comletely empty folder that only contains the psychopy files needed to run the experiment.

Thanks,
Becca

Hi Becca,

I’m getting the same error as artibbs when I run on Pavlovia. I’m displaying images using their file paths. Works fine locally but not on Pavlovia. I tried adding all the files to “Additional Resources” and the problem kept occurring. I also added html to the out path but this didn’t fix the problem either.
Any other ideas?
Thanks.

Alex M.

Hi Alex,

Adding html will mean a second set of .js files are created (in a folder called html) which might confuse pavlovia (it will first try and use the files in html and then the files not in the html). In general we recommend not adding html to outpath now.

If you are still getting missing resource errors even after addint them to your online resource lists some other things you could try include clearing your browser cache and checking reference to all image files include the image extension (e.g. “.png”).

Hope this helps,
Becca

Hi there,

I am trying to set up an experiment that contains images to Pavlovia and it does not run, although it does perfectly run local in psychopy. I have tried all the above-mentioned tips and they did not seem to work for me. What else could I try?

Thank you,
Mavra

Hi There,

We are going to need more specific information to help here. Please can you start a new thread and detail what you have tried and if you have any specific error messages (if no error messages, what did you expect to happen that didn’t?)

That will help us in pin pointing the problem,

Thanks!
Becca

Hi Becca,

Thank you for your response, this is the error I get. Apparently, it is unable to detect the images. I tried the HTML trick but it did not work for me.

pavlovia_error

Hi,

When reporting an issue please open a new topic rather than posting it on an existing topic (e.g. “unknown resource” that will make it easier for future users to find your issue and how you solved it)

In this case it looks like you have a backslash in your path, try replacing with a forward slash.

Becca

Hi Becca,

It worked!

Thank you for your help!

Hi Becca,

I am encountering the same issue and spend a long time figuring out how the .js file fetch given stimuli data and load it to the program. The reason I am doing this is that one of my online projects sometimes works (pilot) with an HTML folder with .js and resources inside and sometimes it does not work. The same thing happens to the case where no HTML folder is present. (Only HTML folder difference). I am confused by the logic behind that.

As far as I learned, the .js will first find out if the HTML folder exists, if not then it will search the current folder. right? Also the resources dictionary in the psychoJS.start gives the program hints where the given data are located. If there is no HTML folder, the resources dictionary will be empty. and the program directly uses the user-given path to find the sources right?

Could you please share more details about how the data is sought by the .js file and how it makes different when using builder versus user-generated code?

Thanks,

Hi There!

As far as I learned, the .js will first find out if the HTML folder exists, if not then it will search the current folder. right?

Yes this is correct

Also the resources dictionary in the psychoJS.start gives the program hints where the given data are located. If there is no HTML folder, the resources dictionary will be empty. and the program directly uses the user-given path to find the sources right?

Perhaps I didn’t follow the logic here - but if you do not have a html folder you can add the resources manually in the online tab of the experiment settings (we recommend this over using a html folder because it reduces the overall number of resources you have).

Could you please share more details about how the data is sought by the .js file and how it makes different when using builder versus user-generated code?

You are correct that if there is a html folder psychoJS will search there for resources. The resources list that is populated in code (exported from builder) is populated by the list of resources provided in the online tab (there is no difference between builder and code really, because builder is writing the same underlying .js code).

If it is possible that you are encountering a new issue that we might not know about please start a new thread with specific details of your experiment (please state the psychopy version) and we can offer more help :slight_smile:

Hope this helps,
Becca

Hi Becca,

Thanks for the reply. I just encountered a similar unknown resources issue. Yes, this is the link to the thread. Keep getting unknown resource errors - #4 by littlethumb123

My question is why the psychopy didn’t add the stimuli.xlsx automatically to the resource dictionary.