Builder won't run on Ubuntu 18.04 -- pygame parachute segmentation fault

OS (Ubuntu 18.04):
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.85.3):
Standard Standalone? (y/n) Yes

I am in the process of transitioning from macOS to Ubuntu for stimulus presentation. However, I am unable to run any paradigms from Builder. I get the error output included below. This is true for any of my existing paradigms, the PsychoPy Builder demo paradigms, and even a simple paradigm that consists solely of a polygon presented for one second. Of note, the PsychoPy demo scripts for Coder run without issue.

I’ve seen several threads (like this one and this one) that include errors identical or similar to the “Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault” that I’m getting, but they all seem to be triggered by some kind of audio presentation.

If upgrading to 1.9.x would be the fix, I’d be happy to do so. But 1.85 is the most current version in the neurodebian repository, so an explicit “okay, linux noob…this is how you manually upgrade your standalone package” step by step procedure would be greatly appreciated. Actually, I’d appreciate that even if it’s not the fix for this issue because I also have the problem with displaying at half the refresh rate and I’d like to try the fix discussed here.

Thanks in advance.
-Andrew

Error output:

############### Running: /home/giles/Desktop/untitled_lastrun.py ###############
pyo version 0.8.8 (uses single precision)

(untitled_lastrun.py:5519): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 13:24:28.018: cannot register existing type ‘GdkDisplayManager’

(untitled_lastrun.py:5519): GLib-CRITICAL **: 13:24:28.018: g_once_init_leave: assertion ‘result != 0’ failed

(untitled_lastrun.py:5519): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 13:24:28.018: g_object_new_with_properties: assertion ‘G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)’ failed

(untitled_lastrun.py:5519): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 13:24:28.018: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(untitled_lastrun.py:5519): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 13:24:28.018: g_signal_connect_data: assertion ‘G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)’ failed

(untitled_lastrun.py:5519): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 13:24:28.018: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(untitled_lastrun.py:5519): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 13:24:28.018: g_signal_connect_data: assertion ‘G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)’ failed

(untitled_lastrun.py:5519): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 13:24:28.019: cannot register existing type ‘GdkDisplay’

(untitled_lastrun.py:5519): GLib-CRITICAL **: 13:24:28.019: g_once_init_leave: assertion ‘result != 0’ failed

(untitled_lastrun.py:5519): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 13:24:28.019: g_type_register_static: assertion ‘parent_type > 0’ failed

(untitled_lastrun.py:5519): GLib-CRITICAL **: 13:24:28.019: g_once_init_leave: assertion ‘result != 0’ failed

(untitled_lastrun.py:5519): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 13:24:28.019: g_object_new_with_properties: assertion ‘G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)’ failed
Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault

Just a ping to keep this post alive. I might’ve inadvertently buried it by posting on a holiday weekend.

Did you manage to solve this. I am also having the same issue? I’ve been trying to run Psychopy demos on ubuntu 18.04 using the builder - and I am having this same error.

Unfortunately, no. I simply gave up on running PsychoPy from my Ubuntu machine and instead ran it from my Mac. Thought I’d still very much to return to Ubuntu if the community has any advice on this issue.

Hi, I am having the same issue. Could you solve it?

Still no resolution that I’m aware of.

If upgrading to 1.9.x would be the fix, I’d be happy to do so. But 1.85 is the most current version in the neurodebian repository, so an explicit “okay, linux noob…this is how you manually upgrade your standalone package” step by step procedure would be greatly appreciated.

You could download the zip file for 1.90.3 and update via Tools/Psychopy updates.../Use zip file below.

I am in the process of transitioning from macOS to Ubuntu for stimulus presentation. However, I am unable to run any paradigms from Builder.

It’s not a direct fix, but I wanted to mention that I don’t have this issue running 1.85.3 from the official repositories on Kubuntu 18.04.1, which shares the underlying code basis with Ubuntu. Maybe that would be worth a try for you?

Thanks for the tips. I will report back my success (or lack thereof).

Any luck? Similar issues here. Willing to switch linux distro if there is one that works out of the box with PsychoPy…