psychopy.org | Reference | Downloads | Github

Windows 10 psychopy builder doesn't start

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS Windows 10 home 1803
PsychoPy version PsychoPy3 (3.0.0b1):
Standard Standalone? (y/n) yes
What are you trying to achieve?:
Start builder
What did you try to make it work?:
Doesn’t start
What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
No message error is provided, psychopy just doesn’t start, whether I run it as administrator or not.

me too, the builder does not start when i click it

Tried running it from command prompt. Nothing happens.
I tried to run the file pythonw.exe, because this is the one to which the shortcut in the start menu points to.

I tried to run pythonw.exe,but still did not work…
Did anyone run it successfully?

Try installing git (https://git-scm.com/)

I think sets up necessary components for the online repository and fixed a similar issue during alpha testing.

Did installing git work?

If not, running it from the command prompt should give a traceback error which can help to identify the issue! That’s what I did when mine couldn’t launch (the splash screen came up, then disappeared, and the programme didn’t launch), and it helped me resolve the issue.

We’ve made quite a few fixes in the last few weeks. Try the new 3.0.0b6 but the advice from @mickeymich08 is also good. Running from the commandline helps us work out what’s wrong:

I’m having a similar problem. I just installed PsychoPy 3.0.0b12 on my standalone laptop and found that while the Builder come up, when I try to load an experiment, nothing happens. If I run psychpyApp from python.exe, everything seems to be fine. I do get a warning about the ‘OSF Project ID’ is not known.

(perceptionlab) C:\Users\data.collection>python -m psychopy.app.psychopyApp
pygame 1.9.4
Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html
7.4628 WARNING Parameter ‘OSF Project ID’ is not known to this version of PsychoPy but has come from your experiment file (saved by a future version of PsychoPy?). This experiment may not run correctly in the current version.
gitpython and a git installation required for getProject()

Maybe the problem is because pythonw.exe has no place to output error messages?

Actually, this may be a conda install issue. I didn’t have the Coder view up before, but when I brought up the Coder view and went to open the psyexp file, I got a message about gitpython and a git installation are required for getProject(). gitpython was installed in my conda environment, but if I try and import it into python, I get a ModuleNotFoundError.

I did a conda uninstall gitpython,
then a pip install gitpython, but that didn’t help.
I may be submitting an issue on gitbhub soon. For now, though “Open with python.exe” will, work.

Looks like this works with pythonw.exe as long as the Coder view is up.