Typed response suggestions?

Hi,

I’m conducting a study where participants will be shown a series of pictures, approximately 30 in total. After showing the pictures, I will ask them to describe each image(all on one screen) by typing their responses into separate text boxes. My intention is to have one textbox per row, allowing participants to provide descriptions for each picture. Therefore, I will need 30 textboxes in total.

Since I don’t have coding experience, I’m looking for a builder option or any other user-friendly method that would be the best and easiest way to implement this.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Hello,

It is really difficult to imagine your experiment from the sparse description you give. Try to describe your experiment in as much detail as you would in a manuscript. But I am almost certain that you do not need 30 text boxes.

Best wishes Jens

Thanks for letting me know. I edited my post for clarification.

Hello,

OK, the participants see thirty pictures, one after the other, which they describe one by one? Or do they describe all thirty pictures after seeing them?

The first approach is easy to implement. Just show the picture, present a text box for the response, and use a condition file to loop through the pictures, presenting them trial by trial.

Best wishes Jens

2 Likes

Ah, it’s the latter. The 30 pictures are shown one by one, all at once, and then participants are asked to recall what they saw after they are done looking at all the pictures. It’s a recall test. They have to recall what they saw after they’ve seen the pictures (by typing in descriptions)

So for the recall test, I am trying to make 30 response text boxes on a new routine. I am trying to figure out how I could do this!

Hope this made it clear! Thanks in advance.

Hello,

A textbox can have more than one line (word).

Another option is to loop over 30 textboxes or stop when no answer is given.

Best wishes Jens

Thank you! I appreciate the suggestion of using looping to simplify the process, but my original plan was to set the routine in a way that participants see all of their responses. One option I can consider is using a single large text box where participants can write their descriptions of images all on one screen. However, my main concern is that when I download the data file, the responses will not be automatically separated into individual cells. This could potentially be time-consuming and inconvenient to handle.

Hello,

your concern is correct :wink: but R has an answer for that. What about using a Survey for that?

Best wishes Jens