Trying to prevent participant from moving on to next routine/frame unless they provide a textbox answer

Hi everyone,

I recently finished a PsychoPy experiment which also seems to run pretty well on Pavlovia !

There is one thing that I’d like to add to it though, but although I tried a couple of solutions, including one suggested in a previous post on this website, I was not able to do it. I’ll attach my experiment, as I think it will be easier if you want to have a look.

DM_online_pilot2.psyexp (370.8 KB)

Here are my loop files:
DM_acceptability_Likert_Set.xlsx (10.2 KB)
material_set_test.xlsx (10.1 KB)

I also have a Pavlovia link I can send if you want, although I only have a few credits on it right now.

The basic tasks in this experiment is to enter responses in textboxes and then clicking on a square in the corner of the screen to move on to the next frame.

But since I have a lot of those (including a loop of 54 such tasks), I’m worried a participant might involuntarily skip some items by clicking on the square too fast. So I’d like to make it so that the click on the square does not work UNTIL the participant has written their answer in the textbox.

Apparently, I need a code component to do this. I tried a solution based on this thread: Use a text response and submit only when something is typed - #9 by Becca

But maybe because of my inexperience, it didn’t work when I tried to do this (no crashes but just nothing happens).

Could someone help me out?

All the best,

Cameron