Trouble exporting experiment to pavlovia/ unhandled internal error

I created an experiment (the offline version runs without any problems) but now I can’t transfer it to the pavlovia website, every time I try the PsychoPy program starts to hang and shuts down eventually. When I looked at my pavlovia dashboard, the experiment was listed there but when I clicked on “pilot” the “403 forbidden” error shows up (and also the corresponding gitlab folder is empty). I opened the Coder in the offline version and tried to synchronize but then an unhandled internal error showed up.

This is the error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui\project.py”, line 364, in onSyncButton
self.project.sync(infoStream=self.syncPanel.infoStream)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 656, in sync
status = self.pull(infoStream=infoStream)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 699, in pull
raise e
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 690, in pull
info = self.repo.git.pull(self.remoteWithToken, ‘master’)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 548, in
return lambda *args, **kwargs: self._call_process(name, *args, **kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 1014, in _call_process
return self.execute(call, **exec_kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 825, in execute
raise GitCommandError(command, status, stderr_value, stdout_value)
git.exc.GitCommandError: Cmd(‘C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\MinGit\cmd\git.exe’) failed due to: exit code(128)
cmdline: C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\MinGit\cmd\git.exe pull https://oauth2:bc567d4c7a31b7d4c4e5016217f11aaf13eb66754bc845e2c76e013effffa34f@gitlab.pavlovia.org/helenespringer/perception-experiment.git master
stderr: 'warning: no common commits
From https://gitlab.pavlovia.org/helenespringer/perception-experiment

• branch master → FETCH_HEAD
    fatal: refusing to merge unrelated histories’

I’m supposed to send it to the developers with this error message attached, does anyone know who I can contact for this? I am new to pavlovia and running experiments online so I really hope someone can help.

Hello Leni,

the error occurs when there are two projects that one tries to merge in a single branch or when your git-directory has been corrupted.

See here for a some information on how to resolve the error. Notice that PsychoPy will not sync when no PsychoJS-script can be complied because of errors in the PsychoJS-part of your experiment.

Best wishes Jens

1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply, Jens! Now suddenly my repository contains all my files, but still, running the experiment gives me the “403 forbidden” error. I read the info in the link you sent me, it can be solved by changing the settings to “allow unrelated histories”. Can you tell me where exactly I can change it? I can’t find the switch for this setting :confused:

Hello,

there is no switch, you have to use the command-line. See here.

Try to correct the access error (403 forbidden) by setting your experiment to inactive and then to running again. See

Best wishes Jens

1 Like

Okay, I thought so. (One of the websites I found wrote that there was a switch that can be toggled so I thought I am missing something :wink: ). The error message disappeared, thanks for your help!

Hi @JensBoelte, I hope it’s ok to directly add a comment here. I have the same issue (error message:fatal: refusing to merge unrelated histories’), after trying to sync my experiment in PsychoPy builder with an already existing experiment in Pavlovia:

I am not quite sure where exactly to add the code mentioned in the link that you posted. Would you be able to give me a hint? Thank you!

Hello,

You have to add/execute the command in the command line/window from the experiment directory.

Best wishes Jens