Sync error on work PC only - fatal: unable to get current working directory: No such file or directory

URL of experiment: (unlikely to be useful - this is just the demo experiment that I attempted (unsucessfully) to sync to check whether it was specific to my own task or a more general problem)

Description of the problem:
Although I can successfully sync experiments from builder (v3.1.2) on my home PC (Windows 8) to Pavlovia, they will not sync from my work PC (Windows 10, same version of PsychoPy). There is some communication as it will create new projects, but when you try to sync, the box just gets stuck at the ‘synchronising…’ message and the repository remains empty. The error message in the output tab is pasted below. I have seen posts about similar problems but have not identified others with this error.

Does this seem likely to be caused by a firewall/network issue, or could it be something as simple as spaces in the filepath (I unfortunately can’t test until someone from IT with administrator rights can come and change the filename of Program Files!)? I have checked, and there is a git.exe file in that directory, so I am unsure what the problem is. The same error is created regardless of what study I attempt to synchronise.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\coder\coder.py”, line 2806, in onPavloviaSync
pavlovia_ui.syncProject(parent=self, project=self.project)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui\project.py”, line 482, in syncProject
if project.getRepo(forceRefresh=True) is None:
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 748, in getRepo
self.newRepo(infoStream=infoStream)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 805, in newRepo
self.repo = git.Repo.init(self.localRoot)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\git\repo\base.py”, line 906, in init
git.init(**kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 548, in
return lambda *args, **kwargs: self._call_process(name, *args, **kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 1014, in _call_process
return self.execute(call, **exec_kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 825, in execute
raise GitCommandError(command, status, stderr_value, stdout_value)
git.exc.GitCommandError: Cmd(‘C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\MinGit\cmd\git.exe’) failed due to: exit code(128)
cmdline: C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\MinGit\cmd\git.exe init
stderr: ‘fatal: unable to get current working directory: No such file or directory’

Any assistance or work-arounds greatly appreciated (I am very much a beginner when it comes to all things git).

Thanks,
Jenny

It looks to me like that folder that it’s trying to create a project in doesn’t exist. Is it possible you’re trying to sync from a new project window with nothing yet saved? What PsychoPy should be doing is using your open experiment, working out what folder that’s in, and uploading the folder to Pavlovia using git.

What happens if you use PsychoPy to fetch/sync an existing project from Pavlovia? (wondering if git itself is broken)

What is the path of the experiment that you’re trying to sync (also wondering if it does have unicode chars but I think that shouldn’t be a problem)?

cheers,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Thank you for such a speedy reply! I don’t think that was what was happening as the experiment file was saved and open in builder when I was attempting to sync, but perhaps if coder view was open but the experiment not compiled in coder something like this was going on? It is something I will look into next time I am in the office (Thursday). The path of the test experiment I was trying is:

\nas01\SHUMHOME\shumjr10\Documents\Research\PsychoPy3 Demos\navon\NavonTask.psyexp

I will let you know how I get on with the other things you have suggested looking into on Thursday.

Thank you!

Hi Jon,

Back in the office today. I tried syncing my example project from PsychoPy to Pavlovia again, making sure that there were no unsaved project windows open and received the same error message.

I then tried going through the PsychoPy option ‘search for projects online’ to pull something that is on Pavlovia down to my work PC. When I tried saving this into a local folder that had other folders in it, I received the following error:

‘’'Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui\project.py”, line 364, in onSyncButton
self.project.sync(infoStream=self.syncPanel.infoStream)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 640, in sync
self.repo = self.getRepo(forceRefresh=True, infoStream=infoStream)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 748, in getRepo
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 816, in newRepo
self.cloneRepo(infoStream=infoStream)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 855, in cloneRepo
self.localRoot,
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\git\repo\base.py”, line 988, in clone_from
return cls._clone(git, url, to_path, GitCmdObjectDB, progress, **kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\git\repo\base.py”, line 939, in _clone
finalize_process(proc, stderr=stderr)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\git\util.py”, line 333, in finalize_process
proc.wait(**kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 415, in wait
raise GitCommandError(self.args, status, errstr)
git.exc.GitCommandError: Cmd(‘C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\MinGit\cmd\git.exe’) failed due to: exit code(128)
cmdline: C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\MinGit\cmd\git.exe clone -v https://oauth2:889193f45da55314db07e8b91bf4f223d9984244edbdd18efc385a594dd8befb@gitlab.pavlovia.org/jenny.retzler/swift_border_online_old.git //nas01/SHUMHOME/shumjr10/Documents/Research
stderr: ‘fatal: destination path ‘//nas01/SHUMHOME/shumjr10/Documents/Research’ already exists and is not an empty directory.
‘’’
So I then tried creating an empty directory for saving it to, which resulted in the following error message instead:

‘’’
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui\project.py”, line 364, in onSyncButton
self.project.sync(infoStream=self.syncPanel.infoStream)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 640, in sync
self.repo = self.getRepo(forceRefresh=True, infoStream=infoStream)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 816, in newRepo
self.cloneRepo(infoStream=infoStream)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 855, in cloneRepo
self.localRoot,
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\git\repo\base.py”, line 988, in clone_from
return cls._clone(git, url, to_path, GitCmdObjectDB, progress, **kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\git\repo\base.py”, line 939, in _clone
finalize_process(proc, stderr=stderr)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\git\util.py”, line 333, in finalize_process
proc.wait(**kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 415, in wait
raise GitCommandError(self.args, status, errstr)
cmdline: C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\MinGit\cmd\git.exe clone -v https://oauth2:889193f45da55314db07e8b91bf4f223d9984244edbdd18efc385a594dd8befb@gitlab.pavlovia.org/jenny.retzler/swift_border_online_old.git //nas01/SHUMHOME/shumjr10/Documents/Research/Empty
stderr: ‘Cloning into ‘//nas01/SHUMHOME/shumjr10/Documents/Research/Empty’…
fatal: Unable to read current working directory: No such file or directory
‘’’

Thanks,
Jenny

Hi, thank you for reporting the problem.
I meet the same issue: " failed due to: exit code(128)".

Did you manage to solve the problem now?
I use psychopy3 and have codes.

Hi @Ye1993

We believe this issues occurs due to the roaming desktop set up on my work PC. We found that saving the PsychoPy task to the C drive of the computer I was working on, rather than to the user area (which I can access from any networked PC), resolved the issue with syncing.

Jenny

I do actually have an idea of the root cause of this and would love to get it fixed (because of the hassle it causes in classrooms which are often configured with roaming profiles). The problem is that I don’t myself have access to a machine with a roaming profile to test on.

So if anyone has access to a machine with a roaming desktop and having this issue fatal: unable to get current working directory: No such file or directory then let me know if you’re happy to help me do some debugging.

Hi Jon,

I can’t help just now due to the lockdown and campus closure, but if you don’t get any offers from people who can help sooner, I’d be happy to help with this once our campus reopens.

Jenny

Thank you for the help. I have solved the problem/ :slight_smile: