Pylink receiveDataFile

Hello,

I have a problem with automized file transfer after an eye tracking experiment using SR Research Eyelink 1000. Using pylink.EyeLink("100.1.1.1").receiveDataFile prints the progress of the file transfer almost byte by byte. This results in thousands of lines printed to the console. PsychoPy keeps all these lines visible and scrollable in the interface instead of setting a maximum. After some thousand lines, the PsychoPy GUI becomes extremely slow to print additional lines and the receiveDataFile function waits until every single print command returns. This makes the file transfer take at least 15 minutes instead of a few seconds.

One workaround from the SR Research Forum would be to override EyeLink.progressUpdate but I can’t find the file containing the function. Also, this would be a pretty messy and not sustainable solution.
Ideally, receiveDataFile would provide an optional input parameter specifying if progress should be printed consecutively or just one print after file transfer finished.

Best wishes,
Mario

I’m having a similar issue. Have you or anyone else found a solution to this? Thanks!

Yes!
Here is the solution: https://www.sr-support.com/forum/how-tos/getting-started/getting-started-with-experimental-programming/52242-getting-started-with-psychopy (you have to register in the SR Research forum to view the thread)
In short: PsychoPy uses an old version of pylink. The latest version that comes with the EyeLink Developer’s Kit (link in forum) needs to be added to PsychoPy (at the moment pylink27).

The thread also contains useful information about other issues. For example there is an EyeLinkCoreGraphicsPsychoPy library with which you can do calibration natively within the PsychoPy window.

Best regards,
Mario

Update (2023-11-02): The links have been updated
Downloads for the EyeLink Developer’s Kit & pylink: SR Support Forum - EyeLink Developers Kit / API
Tutorials for PsychoPy or just native Python implementations with pylink library: SR Support Forum - Python / Psychopy / OpenSesame Templates

1 Like

Hello,

Old thread, but is anyone aware of the solution? I have registered the SR Research Forum but I’m not sure if the thread is still there.

I’m having the same issue as presented in this thread: Pylink Eyelink 1000 AttributeError

The solution to the present thread states that PsychoPy uses and old version of pylink. I’ve installed the latest version 0.3.3, which results in the same error. I’ve also installed several previous versions with no success.

Regards
Jason

You are right: The forum links are outdated and there are new links in the forum now due to updated versions of the EyeLink Developer’s Kit and pylink. I updated my answer from above to include the valid links.

Downloads for the EyeLink Developer’s Kit & pylink: SR Support Forum - EyeLink Developers Kit / API
Tutorials for PsychoPy or just native Python implementations with pylink library: SR Support Forum - Python / Psychopy / OpenSesame Templates

Hi Mario,

Thank you for your reply. I’ve managed to install successfully but have unfortunately had other issues! I’ve proceeded with using the official Tobii python wrapper for their Glasses 3 API (g3pylib). This approach has been reasonably straightforward.

Regards
Jason