PsychoPy on Eyelink 1000

I want to run a PsychoPy task that I can run locally, on Eyelink 1000. I’ve been looking at experiment builder in Eyelink, and I am wondering how best to set this up. Do you integrate calibrations in the Py code or do you set that up in experiment builder and then run the task? This will be my first time using this program and I don’t have experience with the eyetracker so I would love any insight and resources on this!

Thank you,
Bahar

Hello

well, the Eyelink1000 comes with the Experiment Builder software. A clock-and-point software that includes calibration, validation, randomization, constrained-randomization, llops, if-else-constructions, variables aso. I like it a lot. If there is no specific reason to use PsychoPy, I would start there.

Best wishes Jens

1 Like

Check out the “Eyetracking” tab in Experiment Settings (v2021.2.0 or later) - Eyelink 1000 is supported so you can choose your eyetracker in the list of models. You can use the components in the Eyetracking tab to interact with your tracker, check out the visualSearch demo for an example of how to do some basic experiment control stuff using eyetracking.

I recommend making an experiment with the eyetracker set to “MouseGaze” just to try these components out before actually connecting to your eye tracker - MouseGaze essentially uses your mouse to simulate eye data, so it’s super useful for work-in-progress stuff while you figure out the interface.

2 Likes

The SR research support forum is really good and even has posts specifically about interfacing with PsychoPy, if that’s something you’re interested in doing. Otherwise, Experiment Builder is pretty good and there are plenty of templates that you can find on the forums to base your experiment off of.

2 Likes

Thanks Jens! I have the experiment I want to run already built on PsychoPy, I was thinking that having EyeLink run PsychoPy is probably less time consuming than trying to re-build the task on Experiment Builder!