PsychoPy won't start on OS X Monterey 12.3.1

Hi all. I have updated my Mac to OS X Monterey 12.3.1 and now PsychoPy won’t run. It goes to the splash screen but then shows a dialog box that says “Psychopy Error” With the options Terminate and Open Console

I think something like this happened in the past, didn’t it. I cannot remember what crash reports etc proved useful in the end, but happy to send whatever you need.
Thanks Marc

Hi Marc,

Couple of follow up Qs here!

What PsychoPy version do you have installed?
If you look for PsychoPy coder (rather than builder) does that open without error?

Thanks,
Becca

Hi @Becca ,
sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I was away from email for a few days.

Here are the answers:

• I have downloaded the latest and did a clean install (v2022.1.2).

• But I cannot even attempt to get to Coder, because I get that error message and everything else is greyed out. How can I get to Coder (other than by compiling the current script? There used to be an option “Go to coder view” but that is not there anymore…

(Ps: Not sure if this is related to this start-up problem, but I also cannot make in app updates anymore because that is broken too (complains about proxy settings — I have a separate Q on that in the forum).

Thanks for helping

Marc

@Becca I have managed to resolve the problem: I have deleted the userPrefs and appData files as per Troubleshooting — PsychoPy v2022.1.3
Curiously, prior to that I had done a clean uninstall and re-install of PsychoPy but that made no difference…

@Becca – correction: I had PsychoPy working for a few days, then it crashed and now again will not start up.
I tried deleting the pref files as per Troubleshooting — PsychoPy v2022.1.3 but now I cannot find them!
Specifically when I navigate into the PsychoPy.app folder with the Terminal app, I can only see a Contents folder, and it does not contain any preference files.
What can I do?