Problems with syncing and uploading Psychopy experiments to Pavlovia after update to 2021.1.0

URL of experiment:

Description of the problem:
I just downloaded the newest update to 2021.1.0 and now my Psychopy wont sync with Pavlovia in any experiment i tried

the error appearing is :

subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command ‘[‘git’, ‘branch’, ‘–show-current’]’ returned non-zero exit status 129.
ן have found this

and deleted my versions file in my AppData File but still got the same error
would love to get some help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just updated and I am getting the same error. I am on MacOS 11.1.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/psychopy/app/pavlovia_ui/toolbar.py”, line 89, in onPavloviaProject
  File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/psychopy/app/builder/builder.py”, line 1416, in project
  File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/psychopy/projects/pavlovia.py”, line 1068, in getProject
  File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/psychopy/projects/pavlovia.py”, line 1049, in getGitRoot
  File “subprocess.pyc”, line 356, in check_output
  File “subprocess.pyc”, line 438, in run
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command ‘[‘git’, ‘branch’, ‘—show-current’]’ returned non-zero exit status 128.

It doesn’t seem to matter if I change the psychopy version in the experiment settings. I get the error when I try to sync my experiment with pavlovia and also I click the “get details of this experiment” icon. I am able find existing studies on pavlovia (the magnifying glass icon).

2 Likes

up :slight_smile:

File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\builder.py”, line 1325, in onPavloviaSync
retVal = pavlovia_ui.syncProject(parent=self, project=self.project)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\builder.py”, line 1416, in project
elif self.filename and pavlovia.getProject(self.filename):
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 1068, in getProject
gitRoot = getGitRoot(filename)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 1049, in getGitRoot
cwd=str§).decode(‘utf-8’):
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\subprocess.py”, line 336, in check_output
**kwargs).stdout
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\subprocess.py”, line 418, in run
output=stdout, stderr=stderr)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command ‘[‘git’, ‘branch’, ‘–show-current’]’ returned non-zero exit status 129.

i wonder why mine show exit status 129 and your 128

@jon i have noticed this is reoccurring issue. is there something that can be done? i really need to present my experiment online soon

Thank you!

If you can’t get 2021.1.0 working I’d recommend going back to 2020.2.10

1 Like

i really enjoyed working with the new features like the button. but if it is impossible to work with this version i will go back

i tried using the 2020.2.10 version
deleted the ‘versions’ file and the git file and still nothing works

File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\builder.py”, line 1325, in onPavloviaSync
retVal = pavlovia_ui.syncProject(parent=self, project=self.project)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\builder.py”, line 1416, in project
elif self.filename and pavlovia.getProject(self.filename):
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 1068, in getProject
gitRoot = getGitRoot(filename)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 1049, in getGitRoot
cwd=str§).decode(‘utf-8’):
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\subprocess.py”, line 336, in check_output
**kwargs).stdout
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\subprocess.py”, line 418, in run
output=stdout, stderr=stderr)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command ‘[‘git’, ‘branch’, ‘–show-current’]’ returned non-zero exit status 128.

Try copying the psyexp file and resources into a clean folder and sync it as a new project.

Make sure you are using a folder on your hard drive, not cloud storage or your desktop.

I have tried doing that. it shows the same error even when choosing the older version in experiment settings.
I noticed that an html file was created but not the git.

a notice sign popped up

Maybe the issue is that i did upgrade it halfway through an experiment
perhaps I should uninstall this version and reinstall the old one.

Ah, OK, I can see the issue. It’s my mistake. I’ll have a fix for you today.

The issue is only with new projects, existing studies should continue to sync just fine

5 Likes

Thank you! appreciate it very much and cant wait to use the new version online.
It looks great in the builder

I’ll just chime in that in my case it is a study that is already online and working under the previous version. I am able to uninstall and revert back to the previous version and sync without issues (my current solution). When I update again I get the same error as stated above. I’ve gone back and forth a few times to check and same behavior every time, i.e., sync error on latest version, no problems when i downgrade.

I’m in no rush for a solution, just want to give more info in case it’s helpful.

Thank you, Jon.
Is there an estimate date for the release of the newer 2021 version?

2021.1.1 is available last night

2 Likes

Thank you! When I try to create a new project to upload to pavlovia I still get one error.

File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/psychopy/app/pavlovia_ui/project.py”, line 161, in submitChanges
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘project’

WHat does this error mean? Thank you!

@andreamendez92 My guess is that you’ve closed a window (the Runner view?) that PsychoPy thought was open. It still sounds like a bug (and it looks like a few others are finding the same issue) but my guess is that you can workaround it for now by having the Runner stay open

Thank you for the suggestion. Keeping the runner open still didn’t solve the problem

Hi Jon,
I am new to PsychoPy and Pavlovia, and have been trouble getting my experiment into Java Script, so I started on a different computer (a Lenovo Yoga running Windows 10), downloaded PsychoPy3 2021.1.2, and tried to Export to HTML. That generate the following error block, with instructions to contact the developers.
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\builder.py”, line 1320, in onPavloviaSync
self.fileExport(htmlPath=htmlPath)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\builder.py”, line 759, in fileExport
target=“PsychoJS”)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\scripts\psyexpCompile.py”, line 73, in generateScript
compileScript(infile=exp, version=None, outfile=filename)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\scripts\psyexpCompile.py”, line 242, in compileScript
makeTarget(thisExp, outfile, targetOutput)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\scripts\psyexpCompile.py”, line 214, in makeTarget
script = thisExp.writeScript(outfile, target=targetOutput, modular=True)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\experiment_experiment.py”, line 242, in writeScript
entry.writeInitCodeJS(script)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\experiment\routine.py”, line 140, in writeInitCodeJS
thisCompon.writeInitCodeJS(buff)
File "C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\experiment\components\slider_init
.py", line 256, in writeInitCodeJS
stylesListJS = [sliderStyles[this] for this in stylesList]
File "C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\experiment\components\slider_init
.py", line 256, in
stylesListJS = [sliderStyles[this] for this in stylesList]
TypeError: unhashable type: ‘list’

I’m not sure where to turn to for next steps.
Thanks for any suggestions

This thread might help you.
In our case, going to the rating scales and changing the “appearance” to slider did the trick.