psychopy.org | Reference | Downloads | Github

Preferences do not stick

First post, so I really do not know what I am doing, and could not find this asked already …

In the Builder, I go to File > Preferences and make a change (e.g., change units from ‘deg’ to ‘norm’), click OK, then reopen Preferences, and my changes have reverted to the default. I cannot get my Preferences to stick. What am I doing wrong?

Background details:
Dell Optiplex 990
Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
PsychoPy v2020.1.3 Standalone

Thanks,
– David McFarlane

The manual (v. 2020.1.2) says that the preferences are saved in userPrefs.cfg, so I thought I would just go an manually edit that. I found userPrefs.cfg in %AppData%\Roaming\psychopy3, made a backup copy, and then edited the file. When I restarted PsychoPy and went to File > Preferences, it did not show my changes, but when I looked at the .cfg file it still had my changes. Could someone explain this? Thanks.

– David McFarlane

I’m experiencing the same issue. I reset the preferences using the GUI, then re-opened PsychoPy, selected my preferences and checked “auto-save prefs” in the App tab. Still, nothing stuck in the GUI, but when I checked the file in %AppData%\Roaming\psychopy3 and the prefs in coder view, it seems that the selected preferences must have stuck.
Perhaps the units variable just reverses to default in the GUI?

You can check the imported preferences in the coder:

from psychopy import prefs
print(prefs)