Error opening Psychopy

Hello,

When I try and open Psychopy I get the splash screen, but then nothing else appears. I do get the software tab at the bottom, but nothing properly opens. When I click the Psychopy tab (on the taskbar) nothing happens. Upon checking ‘task manager’ it’s showing as having my last .py file open (‘D:\Steve\eye_test.py - PsychoPy Coder’).

I have tried removing the file, but it just tries to open another one. I am not sure why my default Psychopy is attempting to open a file this way. Could this be the reason that it isn’t opening properly?

I have also tried reinstalling Psychopy, but I get the same issue.

I’m using the newest version of Psychopy.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve, have you tried resetting your preferences?

http://www.psychopy.org/troubleshooting.html#cleanprefs

1 Like

Hi,

Just to add that I am having the same problem with version 1.84.2. I also tried reinstalling Psychopy but no change. Since finding this thread I have reset my preferences and now the only difference is that the Psychopy tab on the task bar doesn’t display a file name (and same after a computer restart).

Thanks,

Juliet

Are you using a dual-monitor setup? Which Windows version are you running?

I do have a dual monitor setup, but the second monitor was off, and I’m using Windows 10. I use Psychopy on my personal laptop too (Windows 10) and I don’t have the same problem there.

Strange how it suddenly occurred, prior to this it was opening and closing fine.

Hi Richard,

I’m using a single monitor on a Windows 7 laptop.Thanks,

Juliet

Hi Richard,

Apologies for the late reply. I suspect your solution would fix it, but I can’t seem to find the .cfg files to delete them. I’ve been looking here:

${DOCS AND SETTINGS}{USER}\Application Data\psychopy2\appData.cfg
${DOCS AND SETTINGS}{USER}\Application Data\psychopy2\userPrefs.cfg

But I cannot locate these folders. Do you know if they will always be in this folder? I have also tried searching for the specific files themselves, but I cannot seem to locate them.

Thanks,
Steve

Update: Win 7/10, search ‘%appdata%’ and it’s all in there.

Cheers,
Steve

1 Like

So is this resolved now?

Did you, by any chance, use this computer with PsychoPy in a dual-monitor setup before the problem occurred? Or had it hooked up to a screen with a much higher resolution than the current one?

Yes it’s resolved now. I did not use that computer with Psychopy in a dual-monitor setup before the problem occurred.

Just to bump this.

Is there a way to prevent this occurring? This happens every few weeks with my lab computers and I need to reset the preferences each time. I’m fine to do it, but soon students will be using it and wouldn’t expect them to do this if it’s not working on the day they’re using it.

Cheers,
Jim.

Well, I’d need more info to know how to tackle it (since it isn’t happening to me). It sounds like the problem can be “created” by running psychopy on dual monitors closing, removing a monitor and then reopening? Does that work on any OS?
Also could you send me a copy of the appdata.cfg file that is showing the problem so we can inspect it. Maybe there is some sign in there (e.g. that the window position is in a place that couldn’t be on the monitor) so we need to check for that