'reset preferences' killed my PsychoPy installation

OS (e.g. Win10): Win10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 2020.2.4
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: Standalone
What are you trying to achieve?: In prefereces: reset preferences

Hello,

I selected File -> Preferences -> Application -> reset preferences
and closed and restarted PsychoPy. Unfortunately, it does not start any longer. When I double click on the PsychoPy icon nothing happens. Even task manager shows no python activity.

I renamed the appData.cfg in C:\Users\sblan\AppData\Roaming\psychopy3 - no help.

Then I reinstalled PsychoPy. No help. It does not start.

Any idea how to revive PsychoPy? I desperately need it.

Thanks - Sven

That’s certainly concerning, the default settings should be the most basic and stable options. Could you send over the files in C:\Users\sblan\AppData\Roaming\psychopy3? What should happen when you reset preferences is it deletes userPrefs.cfg and makes a new one with default values - but maybe something in that process has gone wrong for you.

Hi TParsons,

unfortunately I can’t send the files you asked for because I could ‘solve’ the problem and the files are new ones.

What I did:
Again uninstalled 2020.2.4
Tried to delete remaining PsychoPy files on hard disk (I’m sure I missed some).
Installed 2020.1.3
That started with splash screen, coder window, runner window and then crashed.
But now I found in Windows Event Log (hope that’s the correct english term) a clue:

"C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages_sounddevice_data\portaudio-binaries\libportaudio64bit.dll produced an error.

I renamed the dll and restartet PsychoPy. Now it worked. Then I looked at the preferences and found the settings for the audio library in the order: sounddevice, PTB, pyo, pygame

I changed that to PTB, sounddevice, pyo, pygame, renamed the dll to it’s correct name, started PsychoPy and all worked well. Then I installed 2020.2.4 and it is running.

Thanks for your kind offer to help me solving the problem,
yours - Sven