Participant ID from Prolific to Qualtrics to Pavlovia to Qualtrics

URL of experiment: low wm [PsychoPy]

Description of the problem: I am recruiting my participants from Prolific and directing them to study the study with a Qualtrics survey. After the consent, I have a text box which populates their Prolific ID as an embedded value ‘PROLIFIC_PID’ that I setup in Survey and Flow:

I would like this ID to once again automatically populate in the ‘participant’ field of the psychopy/pavlovia task that they do:

I have used the following custom redirect URL to go to Pavlovia from Qualtricvs: low wm [PsychoPy] and added this embedded value in the URL so it appears at the top like this:

How do I make it appear in the participant field which is now missing at the start page of Pavlovia?

Hi @ymurzello, values that are given to pavlovia via URL parameters are automatically hidden in the start-up info. That’s useful behavior because you would not want participants to change those variables. They are still saved in expInfo though, in case you are not aware of this! Why do you want to show participants their ID? Prolific provides you with the correct ID and it should not change across all redirections of your experiment…

Hello @ajus ,

Thanks for your reply
I actually did not realise that was a useful behavior.

  1. Would my csv file use this participant ID in the filename and data?
  2. Is it possible to pass this ID to another Qualtrics page that has the debrief/thank you?
  3. (Not sure if you can help with this one) when I preview the survey directly from Qualtrics and enter in my own participant ID, it doesn’t show up in the Pavlovia URL. Is it because it’s actually set to populate from Prolific? When previewing through Prolific, it populates as shown in my screenshot.

Thanks a lot

  1. Yes, absolutely. The participant variable is treated as if it was written in the start-up dialog. So everything still works the same.
  2. Yes. You can go to the experiment settings → online → completed URL and enter a brief code that adds the ID to the URL of your qualtrics page like $'url/?participant=' + expInfo['participant'], where url is the URL of your Qualtrics page. I don’t work with Qualtrics so you need to research before, in which format Qualtrics is able to receive URL parameters. But maybe you already know that from the Prolific → Qualtrics redirection
  3. Since I don’t work with Qualtrics I don’t know the intricacies of programming a survey there. But to troubleshoot this, you could preview it via Prolific, then change the ID that is displayed in Qualtrics and see, if the ID sent to pavlovia is the original one or the changed one. Then, you would at least know if what you enter in this field does anything at all. To be honest, I wouldn’t even give participants an opportunity to change the ID. All that can do is cause trouble :smiley: