'Context' is not identified Urgent

I try to run the experiment which I uploaded from an excel sheet, and it says ‘Context’ (a column in the excel sheet) is not identified. How can I fix this without coding. Thanks!

Yeniexcel.xlsx (9.1 KB)

Hi, could you please share the full error message from the stdout in the runner window?

Also, PsychoPy keeps crashing:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/boot.py”, line 197, in
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/boot.py”, line 166, in _run
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/psychopyApp.py”, line 102, in
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/psychopyApp.py”, line 98, in main
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/psychopyApp.py”, line 27, in start_app
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘MainLoop’

1 Like

Would you mind sharing your task so that I can try and replicate this issue on my end?

Of course, this is the excel sheet:
Yeniexcel.xlsx (9.0 KB)

I’m trying to create a self-paced reading task. Context should come first and is presented as a WHOLE and after that, words should be presented word-by-word. There will be comprehension questions asked after words (they comprise a sentence) as well, and the questions are presented as a whole NOT word-by-word.

yasemin.psyexp (15.4 KB)

There are just context, word_1 and word_2 columns now. I was trying to continue uploading the rest of the words, and comprehension questions, but PyschoPy doesn’t allow it :frowning:

Hi, so in your loop properties, in the field selected rows, there was the values 2:3 which is telling psychopy to select rows 3 and 4 from your excel sheet. And this does not exist because you only have 2 rows of trials which is why you are getting the error. I removed that from the field and your task worked :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much! But what do I need to do to select the 2nd and 3rd rows? I thought selecting 2:3 was right…

You do not need to do that as psychopy will automatically iterate through all the rows in your excel file

I want rows to be iterated from left to right, respectfully. Not top-down. Is that what you mean? Or how can I do it? Thank you so much, you’re a lifesaver :slight_smile:

I see in your excel sheet that you have six columns of words, each with 2 rows. And based on your previous comment, I’m guessing that you want the word_1 to present both words first then move on to word_2 etc until word_6. Can I confirm this? If so, we may need to edit your task and spreadsheet a little bit.

I want the cells under the columns of Context, word_1, word_2, word_3, word_4, word_5, word_6 and Question to be presented respectfully, from left to the right for the first row, and then it should be in the same order for the second row.

Such as:

You - look - pale - today. ( words are presented respectfully, from left to the right.)

Can I confirm that you would want to present the Context first (in one routine) and then the words (in sequence) and then the Question (in another routine)?

Yes, correct? How can I do that please? It’s urgent and I cannot do it…

1 Like

yasmin - Copy.zip (16.8 KB)
Hi, I made a minimal demo that I think is what you’re aiming to do. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Hi, thanks so much, I looked at it and noticed that the excel copy you sent is a bit different from what I’m trying to say, so to simplify it for you I will send you the same file in English this time, not Turkish. :slight_smile:

Yeniexcel - Copy.xlsx (10.3 KB)

So, this was the one you sent me.

Englishexample.xlsx (9.0 KB)
This is the English example. I need cells under the columns to be presented left to right.

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

Hi, can I ask is the experiment behaving the way you are expecting it to be (i.e. one words being presented at a time e.g. That → is → a → cat. Or are you thinking of e.g. That → That is → That is a → That is a cat.

Sorry for the extra questions but I feel that I need to know how you want the task to behave first before we move on to making further changes.

Haha no worries, thanks for putting up with me :slight_smile:

That → is → a → cat. (one word at a time)

This is the order I’ve been trying to create.

yasemin.psyexp (17.7 KB)
Yeniexcel - Copy.xlsx (10.1 KB)

Hi, I’ve made the task to behave this way now. The excel sheet needs to be made in this format for it to work.