Can't exit experiment

This used to happen infrequently but is now happening each time I pilot/run my experiment:

When I try to leave the experiment by pressing escape my computer becomes unresponsive and I have to forcibly restart with the power button. The experiment stops and the taskbar appears at the bottom of the screen, but the experiment remains full screen and I can’t click or do anything (force close, ctrl+alt+del etc.). The same thing happens when I press F11

Online when I press escape the screen switches from full to normal. I can then close the tab, add a developer console, etc.

Is the experiment crashing at a particular point (e.g. when downloading resources)? Have you tried starting the console before you start the experiment so you can see what happens?

Opening the developer console is helping considerably, prevents me from getting ‘stuck’ in the experiment

Regarding other irregularities, it always gets stuck for several seconds on 287/564 when downloading resources

While the experiment is running I’m getting several warnings:

WARN unknown | setting the value of attribute: seed in PsychObject: TrialHandler as: undefined

This is repeated for “attribute: size” of many of my text stimuli and a handful of other things

There’s a couple of other things in the console at the start:

DevTools failed to load SourceMap: Could not load content for chrome-extension://gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom/include.preload.js.map: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_UNKNOWN_URL_SCHEME

DevTools failed to load SourceMap: Could not load content for chrome-extension://gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom/include.postload.js.map: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_UNKNOWN_URL_SCHEME

With the console open it’s not freezing up at all, I can switch from fullscreen with the experiment still running.

I’m not sure whether any of this helps to explain what’s happening with crashes - I was wondering whether browser extensions could be causing some of the problems?

If you mean at the start-up screen I think this might mean that it runs out of memory at that stage and then fails. Is it crashing when it gets to trying to display something that didn’t get loaded. What are your resources?

The download getting stuck is a red herring it seems - there was just a larger file in the folder which shouldn’t have been there. After removing it the resources download as quickly as I’d expect (they’re mostly 1600x1600 png images, ~150Mb in total).

Unfortunately I can’t replicate the crash while the console is open - when it’s open I can switch from full screen/press escape with no problems.

Running the experiment in an incognito window appears to solve the issue so I’m guessing it’s related to browser extensions/plugins or something similar? I’m going to try and disable various things to see if I can pinpoint the problem