“attempting to measure frame rate of screen, please wait”

I just installed psychopy and am doing the hello world example on my macbook air. When I run the hello world demo, a messages appears stating: “attempting to measure frame rate of screen, please wait”, and then nothing happens, the screen doesn’t change, and there’s no “hello world” to be seen. I have to close my computer to get out of it. Does anyone know what’s going on here? Thanks.

Hello

The message “Attempting to measure screen refresh rate, please wait” should disappear after a while and your experiment should start. You will see the completion status of your experiment, any error message and so on in the Runner window. Do you have two monitors? If not, you can alt-tab (cmd-tab) to the runner window when running an experiment.

Best wishes Jens

Thanks for the tip!

This time I waited a little longer. The message appears for 30-60seconds and then the experiment exits without presenting the “hello world!” message. Here is the output from the runner, Do you see some clues there regarding what’s going on? Thanks!

Generating PsychoPy script...

######## Running: /Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/test3_lastrun.py #########
39.6083     INFO     Loaded monitor calibration from ['2023_11_10 14:55']
2024-01-04 07:38:57.170 python[96842:3519594] ApplePersistenceIgnoreState: Existing state will not be touched. New state will be written to /var/folders/bl/77qc5c812ks3zr7bh9_962fc0000gn/T/org.opensciencetools.psychopy.savedState
Traceback (most recent call last):
6.7950     WARNING     User requested fullscreen with size [1024  768], but screen is actually [1680, 1050]. Using actual size
7.5416     EXP     Created window1 = Window(allowGUI=True, allowStencil=False, autoLog=True, backendConf=UNKNOWN, backgroundFit=<method-wrapper '__getattribute__' of attributeSetter object at 0x7f7fdc3f3850>, backgroundImage=<method-wrapper '__getattribute__' of attributeSetter object at 0x7f7fdc3f37f0>, bitsMode=UNKNOWN, blendMode='avg', bpc=(8, 8, 8), color=array([0, 0, 0]), colorSpace='rgb', depthBits=8, fullscr=<method-wrapper '__getattribute__' of attributeSetter object at 0x7f7fdc3f3670>, gamma=None, gammaErrorPolicy='raise', lms=UNKNOWN, monitor=<psychopy.monitors.calibTools.Monitor object at 0x7f7fdc36edc0>, multiSample=False, name='window1', numSamples=2, pos=[420.0, 262.5], screen=0, size=array([3360, 2100]), stencilBits=0, stereo=False, title='PsychoPy', units='height', useFBO=True, useRetina=True, viewOri=0.0, viewPos=None, viewScale=None, waitBlanking=True, winType='pyglet')
7.5418     EXP     window1: mouseVisible = True
7.5418     EXP     window1: backgroundImage = ''
7.5418     EXP     window1: backgroundFit = 'none'
7.5433     EXP     window1: Attempting to measure frame rate of screen (0) ...
7.5433     EXP     window1: recordFrameIntervals = False
7.7080     EXP     window1: recordFrameIntervals = True
7.8923     EXP     Screen (0) actual frame rate measured at 59.71Hz
7.8924     EXP     window1: recordFrameIntervals = False
7.8933     EXP     window1: mouseVisible = False
38.3460     EXP     window1: mouseVisible = True
ioHub Server Process Completed With Code:  Negsignal.SIGSEGV
  File "/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/test3_lastrun.py", line 518, in <module>
    inputs = setupInputs(expInfo=expInfo, thisExp=thisExp, win=win)
  File "/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/test3_lastrun.py", line 211, in setupInputs
    ioServer = io.launchHubServer(window=win, **ioConfig)
  File "/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/contrib/lazy_import.py", line 118, in __call__
    return obj(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/iohub/client/connect.py", line 260, in launchHubServer
    return ioHubConnection(iohub_config)
  File "/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/iohub/client/__init__.py", line 296, in __init__
    raise RuntimeError('Error starting ioHub server: {}'.format(self.iohub_status))
RuntimeError: Error starting ioHub server: ioHub startup failed.
################ Experiment ended with exit code 1 [pid:96842] #################

Hello

see here RuntimeError: Error starting ioHub server: ioHub startup failed. (exit code 1)

Best wishes Jens

As far as I understand it you can only change the experiment settings once the program ‘runs’.
If it wont run you are stuck.

Thank you!