Terminating Rating Scale in a Block Design

OS (e.g. Win10): Win10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): v2020.1.1

Hey everyone,

I am new to PsychoPy, Python and this forum, so I am hoping to find some help here. I am using the Builder.

What are you trying to achieve?:
We are performing a Taste-Experiment. Participants have to drink several times different drinks and after each drink they should rate about the taste. Therefore, I want to have a Rating Scale which starts when the Taste procedure is over. Afterwards tasting & rating should be repeated several times.
My Flow look like this right now:

What did you try to make it work?:
I created the Task_Trial2 Routine which includes the Drinking, Swallowing and Tasting. For the Rating Scale I created a second routine (Feedback_Trial), as I was not able to integrate the Rating Scale in the Task_Trial2.
To start the Rating Scale when the Task_Trial2 is over I inserted the following Code Component to Begin Routine:

Task_Trial2Clock.finished=True

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
However, when I am running the experiment, the Rating Scale appears after every text stimulus of the Task Trial (which is “baseline”, “take it to mouth”, “swallow”, “taste”) and not only after the last one (which is “taste”). I guess that my Code Component is somehow not good to say Psychopy when to start the Rating Scale? Or maybe I can fix this problem about the Start/Stop sections of the Scale itself?

I am happy about any tips and help :slight_smile:

None of you having an idea?

Hi Clarette,

i tried this double looping too. It seems that in psychopy the Task_Trial2 is paired with feedback trial. So it is not like the one loop finishes before introducing the feedback_Trial, right?

For the scale, can´t you show it after the last Text by setting a time (e.g. 5s after text appearance remove the text and show the scale)? Can you make a screenshot hot Task_Trial2 looks like and where you tried implementing your rating scale?

But maybe someone else has a better idea?

Best,
Carina

Sorry – but I’m not able to work out what you are trying to do based on your description and flow.

It looks like Trask_Trial2 repeats for each aspect (Baseline, Drinking, Swallowing and Tasting) so I am guessing that nReps for the trials loop is 4 OR it points to a spreadsheet with 4 rows. Since Feedback Trial is outside the trials loop it can’t be presented after every aspect as must be waiting until after Taste – except you say it is happening after every aspect which makes me wonder what your trials loop is for.

You said that the rating scale s in Feedback_Trial, so I don’t understand why you need Task_Trial2Clock.finished=True, not what that code even means to you. What is means to me is "terminate the loop called Task_Trial2Clock, but there isn’t a loop called that in your flow.

I assume that Chose_Cond points to a speadsheet containing your different drinks.

What you are asking for sounds simple but I can’t work out how you could get the error you describe (rating scale appearing after every aspect) with the information you’ve presented (drinking aspects in Task_Trial2 and rating scale in Feedback_Trial).