Stdout in Runner different in 2023.2.3? Is error reporting still here?

OS (e.g. Win10): OSX 13.4
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 2023.2.3
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: Standalone.

Hi. I’ve just upgraded to the latest version of Pscyhopy (2023.2.3) for the new year.

And I notice that what I am seeing in the Stdout window appears to be quiet different now.

There seems to be a LOT more stuff there. Mostly impenetrable to me - and therefore not particularly useful (to me at least).

But critically, when Psychopy throws errors and crashes out (ie: when you really need this window) - the output seems to be much LESS versbose.

For example. My experiment is currenty crashing and instead of previously where there would be a whole paragraph of text about what happened, now I just get:

"################ Experiment ended with exit code 1 [pid:15452] #################"

So I guess my questions are:

1. Is there any documentation on what this window presents?
  2. Is there any documentation on what has changed in this version of software?
  3. How can I tell why my experiment is crashing if it no longer tells me ‘Can’t find the image file’ or whatever? is this information somewhere else now?
  4. What does that pid mean? Is this an error code? Can I look these up?

Thanks for any help with this.

Regards,

Dan.

Hello,

if you set the Logging level to error in the Edit experiment settings - Data tab, you will see only the error message.

Best wishes Jens

Hi Jens!

Ah thanks for this!!! So does this mean that the .log file is exactly the same as what I see in the Stdout window? Far out! That’s super useful to know!

I note, however, that in this window I have exactly the same settings as you have posted in that screenshot. Including Logging level set to ‘exp’. (what does exp mean I wonder?)

Ah - I have just searched the manual for ‘Logging level’ and found this:

> Logging level
> How much detail do you want to be output to the log file, if it is being saved. The lowest level is error, which only outputs error messages; warning outputs warnings and errors; info outputs all info, warnings and errors; debug outputs all info that can be logged. This system enables the user to get a great deal of information while generating their experiments, but then reducing this easily to just the critical information needed when actually running the study. If your experiment is not behaving as you expect it to, this is an excellent place to begin to work out what the problem is.

Interestingly - this doesn’t even mention ‘exp’. Hmmm…

But hey - I just tried running my (currently cashing) experiment with that field set to ‘error’ and BINGO! I can now see what the problem is. YAY!!

Thanks so much Jens!

:slight_smile:

D.

Hello Dan,

sorry, my mistake. I corrected the posting above. Set it to error, exp is the default and it means experiment.

Best wishes Jens

Heh!

Yah - fantastic! Vielen Dank Jens. Have learnt some stuff and now can see my errors! Thanks mate.

:slight_smile:

D.