Saving progress as one goes through the experiment

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS (e.g. Win10): macOS Big Sur v11.6
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): v2021.2.3
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: y
What are you trying to achieve?: I am concerned about losing data (either through human error or technology issues) as the participant moves through my experiment. I am curious if there is a way to continuously save data (e.g., text responses, scores, etc.) while the participant is still completing the experiment. For example, if I have 20 total trials I would like the program to save trials as the participant completes them one by one so that if something happens I do not lose all my data, but can recover however many trials the participant completed before the event.

What did you try to make it work?: I saw on the PsychoPy website different code snippets to select what type of data and the file format to save it in, but those only seem to apply once the participant has completed the experiment (although I could be wrong…)

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?: I have not tried anything else yet, I would like 1) clarification if this is possible and 2) if it is possible, how I could go about saving participant data as they progress through my experiment

Offline this happens automatically. Press escape during the experiment and have a look in your data folder.

Online you can request saving of partial data but it doesn’t always work – and is still just saving at the point of abort.

That makes sense - thank you for your help!