PsychoPy 1.90.3 not opening on Mac OS Mojave (10.14)

Hi all,

I’m installing PsychoPy for the first time on a MacBook Pro running Mojave. PsychoPy freezes on the welcome screen and stops responding. I have never made it past this screen.

I have Python 2.7.15 installed and I’ve followed these instructions from the PsychoPy website:

REQUIRED

pip install numpy scipy matplotlib pandas pyopengl pyglet pillow moviepy lxml openpyxl configobj psychopy

to use iohub

you need to install the hdf5 lib before installing tables (brew install hdf5 on mac))

pip install pyyaml gevent greenlet msgpack-python psutil tables

better excel file reading (than openpyxl)

pip install xlrd

making online connections (e.g. OSF.io)

pip install requests[security] pyosf

alternative audio (easier than pyo to install)

pip install cffi sounddevice pysoundfile

I have installed and uninstalled PsychoPy 1.90.1, 1.90.3 and 3.0.0b6 and the same problem has emerged every time. Does anyone have any idea about what I have done wrong?

Thanks.

Hi @rorycutler, have you tried the standalone version, and does that work?

Thanks for responding! I have tried the standalone versions and they do not work. I apologise for this not being clearer in my first post.

Same thing happened to me tonight. I have been running a study on psychoPy for my Phd and now after I press the run button I get a box to put in participants name and then …grey screen. I have also installed, reinstalled but nothing works. Thank God I have an old machine that I can use that hasn’t been updated to Mojave. Please let me know if a solution is found. :scream:

Installed python 3.7.1 from python website and now psychoPy works with Mojave. Takes a bit of time to get past grey screen but then is OK.

I’m using the standalone version on my laptop in Mojave with no problems. Rory, when you say the standalone “doesn’t work” which version did you download and in what way did it fail?