psychopy.org | Reference | Downloads | Github

Projects that are failing to upload


#1

A few people are having problems getting their experiment to push to Pavlovia from inside PsychoPy. The symptoms are that the window comes up saying

“synchronising…”

and then nothing more happens. I’m really keen to work out what’s going on here but don’t have access to a machine that shows the symptoms (most computers are uploading the experiments just fine).

If you’re being affected by this (especially if you’re moderately computer-savvy and willing to work with me on finding a solution) then could you get in touch here and we’ll try and work out what’s going on?

cheers,
Jon


#2

The only time I receive this is if I try to run the study online before the sync gui has finished. I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\PATH\psychopy\psychopy\app\builder\builder.py", line 2385, in onPavloviaRun
    closeFrameWhenDone=False)
  File "C:\PATH\psychopy\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui\project.py", line 444, in syncProject
    syncFrame = sync.SyncFrame(parent=parent, id=wx.ID_ANY, project=project)
  File "C:\PATH\psychopy\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui\sync.py", line 25, in __init__
    wx.Yield()
wx._core.wxAssertionError: C++ assertion "Assert failure" failed at ..\..\src\common\evtloopcmn.cpp(110) in wxEventLoopBase::Yield(): wxYield called recursively


#3

Hi Jon,

I am having this exact problem! Please let me know what you need me to do.

EDIT

this is the main error I get in the output shell

git.exc.GitCommandNotFound: Cmd('git') not found due to: FileNotFoundError('[WinError 206] The filename or extension is too long')

Following this error, was an exhaustive list of every file that is also in the same parent folder as this experiment. Next I removed these files and put the online experiment in a folder by itself, this has solved the synchronizing stage problem.


#4

I’ve had this issue before when I didn’t add a commit message under the ‘Summary of changes’ dialogue box. I get the same “synchronising…” message that is described here.

If you have the coder view open, you will get an error message, the last two lines of which read:

cmdline: C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\MinGit\cmd\git.exe commit -m
stderr: 'Aborting commit due to empty commit message.'

The next time you go to sync the experiment, the changes that you attempted to commit, won’t be synced with the online repository. However, if you go to command prompt and check the git status, you will see several modifications that haven’t been pushed yet. I would solve this error by creating a adding and committing those changes manually in the command prompt:

git add -A
git commit -m “committing unsynced changes”
git push

This has always worked for me.


#5

Thanks. The empty commit message (unagi_pie) is going to be an easy one to guard against. We should be checking that they did enter at least one character in the box (or if they didn’t maybe we just insert an underscore as a fake “message”)

The “filename is too long” is puzzling and I’ll have to look into that one. I’ve got an idea about it but I’ll need to check. Maybe you’ve just got more files than I’ve tried in my own testing. I’ll try and sync a project with loads of files and see if I can make it fail!

Thanks again both for finding useful ways to break it! :wink:


#6

Syncing failed showing only “Synchronising…” when I had one of the experiment conditions files open . The error message was:

error: open("html/resources/~$filename.xlsx"): Permission denied
error: unable to index file html/resources/~$day1.xlsx
fatal: adding files failed'


#7

OK, that last one (david) should be helped by the fact that files starting ~$ should now be ignored. So this is good. We’re making progress!

Actually though, David, I wonder if we can find a way that errors such as those ones can be captured and brought back into the dialog after the “syncing…” message. If we were providing some sort of error then people would be more aware there had been a problem and at least send us the messages.


#8

Yes good idea, I will have a look at making the errors more visible in the dialog box.