Problem loading resources

Hi everyone.

I was worried this would be an issue.

I have an experiment with ~8000 potential stimuli. Each participant only sees ~ 100.

But, as far as I can tell, all ~8000 get downloaded at the beginning of the study. As I feared, when I try to pilot the study, I get an error.

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 5.02.56 PM

I took this screenshot as it was quickly flashing through many different filenames.

I’m guessing my best course of action is to find a way and only load the stimuli that a given participant needs. Is that right? Or is there maybe some other issue here that is simpler to solve.

Thank you!

Hello David,

look here for resources in online studies.

https://www.psychopy.org/online/resources.html

Best wishes Jens

Why is there a (4) in the file name?

1 Like

I’m not sure! That’s something I was wondering about. It is not in the actual file name.

Also when loading, it get up to about 4000/8000 and then starts giving that error message.

Isn’t it attached via Experiment Settings/Online? If so I’d recommend removing and readding them. It sounds like some more of the file names are wrong.

Are you asking if the stimuli are included in the “Additional Resources” pane? If so, that section is blank.

So how does PsychoPy know what resources you’re using? Are the filenames in a spreadsheet? If so, you need to check the spreadsheet(s) for incorrect filenames.

Yeah I have an excel file with the stimuli names. I’ve looked there, and in the uploaded files, there is no “(4)” in any of them.

Hello David,

look here for resources in online studies.

https://www.psychopy.org/online/resources.html

Best wishes Jens

Thank you for this link! I’ve been trying to set my experiment up to load sounds on each trial using a static component. My understanding was that this would eliminate the preload at the start of the experiment, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Is there something special that I need to do to override the pre-load?

Hello David,

could you please show us how you implemented the loading of your movies?

Best wishes Jens

Absolutely! And thank you for taking a look.

There are back-to-back routines in which a sound plays. I’ve taken screenshots of each, along with the settings for the sound, but let me know if there’s some other image that would be helpful!

Hello David,

do you mind showing the content of your loop trials?. I assume that you did not specify any resources in Experiment Settings > Online > Additional Resources?

Do mind to create a toy-version of your experiment, so just 10 wav-files 2 of which will be used? This would simplify debugging.

Best wishes Jens

Sure! Here is the trials loop. There are many different versions of the task (~200), with the specific one being chosen on the participant info screen.

I will create a simplified version later on today!

Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 12.50.31 PM

And here is the simplified version of the task!

It is certainly not working. Instead of audio files, there is just a beep. This is quite loud, so don’t have your volume turned up too high!

Hello David,

I cannot access your experiment. Either make it public or add me as a developer.

Best wishes Jens

Hi Jens, thanks for flagging that. I’ve just made you a developer.