psychopy.org | Reference | Downloads | Github

OpenGL drivers error

Hi
I recently decided to take a few days annual leave only to return to discover my code now no longer runs on my Windows 7 machines.

I have started getting the well documented OpenGlL drivers error (something new to me) when running v.1.82.0.

Short of having to buy video cards for these machines is there a work around such as installing a previous version that wont throw this error.

My code runs fine under Windows 10 but my office and lab machines are Windows 7.

I have the most up to date drivers for my Intel G41 chipset.

Mild panic due to impending start of term - so any help gratefully received,

Philip.

Could you post the actual error please?

Sorry Jon here is an example
File “U:\general-17\teaching-17-18\Pinp-17\PsychoPy\onetwo-17-v1.py”, line 158, in show_suc
fixText.draw()
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\psychopy-1.82.00-py2.7.egg\psychopy\visual\text.py”, line 583, in draw
GL.glActiveTexture(GL.GL_TEXTURE1)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\pyglet\gl\lib_wgl.py”, line 95, in call
result = self.func(*args, **kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\pyglet\gl\lib.py”, line 63, in MissingFunction
raise MissingFunctionException(name, requires, suggestions)
pyglet.gl.lib.MissingFunctionException: glActiveTexture is not exported by the available OpenGL driver.

Thanks Philip.

Hello,

It seems you are using the default Windows graphics driver which is stuck at the OpenGL 1.1 spec. glActiveTexture is part of the core profile as of 2.0. You need to check for supplemental OpenGL drivers for your chipset. I’m not sure, but it might be provided through a separate Intel GMA driver.

Hello,
I believe I had the same issue in the past. For me the default windows drivers were the issue and not Psychopy. I was able to solve it by downloading and installing the manufacturer provided drivers for my video card (e.g., drivers from ATI’s website or NVidia’s website AND NOT the ones that windows gets as part of the update process or generic device install process).

Hope this helps

Might be worth adding some GL version detection on Window initialization. Something like …

gl_info = self.winHandle.context.get_info()
if not gl_info.have_version(2,0,0):
    raise RuntimeError(
        "PsychoPy requires OpenGL 2.0+, exiting.")

Thanks I havent tried alternative drivers I will do. I am puzzled as to why this just started happening and whether it was something about upgrading to 82. In the meantime I managed to get a graphics card and corresponding driver and this works fine. (Still need to fix my other PCs though!)
Best
Philip.