New web app. VESPR Study Portal

Hi Wake,

Thanks for this - I noticed that if I set the “Reset participant” variable to “Yes” then select “Update experiment”, the “Reset participant” variable will automatically reset to “No” - is there a reason that might be expected to occur?

Thanks,
Becca

Reset participant is a one-off operation. The next participant will have participant number 1 and allocation to groups will restart. Previous participants will be moved to the archived column.

This is not something you want to happen every time you correct a typo.

Aha I see, that was my misunderstanding. I thought “Reset participant” corresponded to if you wanted the participant number to reset to it’s previous value if the participant fails to complete (so that participant doesn’t “count” in group assignment) - does that happen automatically?

No – reusing the participant numbers of lapsed participants would mean that the participant number would no longer be related to the order or participation and could cause duplicates if the original participant later finished.

Each participant is allocated three numbers

participant - consecutively allocated on launch. Can be reset.
session - incrementally allocated on launch. Unique across all experiments. Cannot be reset.
group - randomly allocated on launch based on the relative numbers of completed and active participants.

If a participant fails to complete then it is their group assignment that no longer counts. Licenced VESPR portal users should not be using the participant number for group assignment.

OK great - thanks for clarifying

1 Like

Licenced users of the VESPR Study Portal can now add collaborators to their portals (see the latest edit to the first post).

These slides show how you can integrate the portal with Qualtrics using this template.

Slightly confused on the redirection to the debriefing page—when I should be redirecting from pavlovia to the debrief page on VESPR, I only get the front portal page rather than the debrief associated with my experiment. I’m using a link in Pavlovia/psychopy that looks like
$"https://moryscarter.com/vespr/portal/debrief.php?expt=186&id="+expInfo['id'] (so that the ID gets passed back through to Prolific to pay the participants). What am I doing wrong?

Also, your video linked in this post Qualtrics to Psychopy back to Qualtrics - #15 by wakecarter was extremely helpful—thanks for making it!

The two variables that need to be passed back to the debrief page are participant and session.

2 Likes

Thank you for making this resource. Can I just confirm whether I can simply integrate with Prolific by using a link in this form:

https://moryscarter.com/vespr/portal/?expt=XXX

Or if there’s another step I need to get them there? (I know I will need to add the Prolific end URL as well.)

That looks fine. You should add &id=PROLIFIC_ID (or similar) to the end

Perfect, thanks! I will try: https://moryscarter.com/vespr/portal/?expt=XXX&id=PROLIFIC_PID

Do I need a Completed URL link in PsychoPy to send them back to VESPR? Or would the completed link from Prolific go in VESPR as the “Credit URL”, without any Completed URL in PsychoPy?

Yes, it’s the same for all portal studies (id added to participant and session when needed e.g. for Prolific).

$"https://moryscarter.com/vespr/portal/debrief.php?participant="+expInfo['participant']+"&session="+expInfo['session']+"&id="+expInfo['id']

Okay super!

I assume I would also need to add the Prolific credit link to the VESPR info?

Yes, have you seen the slot for it?

I think so! I put it in the “Credit URL” slot.

I just tried a participant and they showed up with an Unknown Code in Prolific. Do you know what might cause that? Perhaps I did something wrong by just copying and pasting this link into PsychoPy as the Completed URL?

$"https://moryscarter.com/vespr/portal/debrief.php?participant="+expInfo['participant']+"&session="+expInfo['session']+"&id="+expInfo['id']

That should work. Follow it through keeping an eye on what happens to the address bar. Is the prolific id set at the start sent back to prolific at the end?

Is there any data (eg time of completion) saved on the VESPR website? If so, how would I access it?

The start and end times for each participant are stored but not accessible to users at the moment.

I think it would be helpful for me to at least make the list of participant numbers available to confirm which reached the debrief.

Please send me your study number by PM and I can check for you.

I’ve just added a language feature to translate the main items. If you are a registered user and would like to send me translations for your language, here is the list for Italian:

‘Participant Information’ — Documento per la partecipazione

‘Continue to experiment’ — Avvia Esperimento

‘Download study information’ — Scarica Questo Documento

‘Consent not given’ — Consenso non dato

‘Continue’ — Continua

‘Debrief’ — Resoconto

‘View all available studies’ — Visualizza gli altri studi disponibili

Hello wakecarter

for German:

‘Participant Information’ — Teilnehmerinformation

‘Continue to experiment’ — Weiter zum Experiment

‘Download study information’ — Download Studieninformation