Misaligned data

URL of experiment: Pavlovia

Description of the problem: This is a word spotting experiment, where participants push a button when they spot a real (spoken) word and subsequently enter the word on the screen. The problem is that the data (CSV) is misaligned, so that the data regarding the entered word ends up on the row below that of the relevant trial in the csv file. This only occurs in the Pavlovia version, not locally, where each row successfully includes trial information plus the entered word. I’ve seen other threads regarding this issue, but none has a solution. PsychoPy version is 2020.2.10, and I’ve tried several versions with no luck. I’d be very grateful for any input. Thank you! Picture of issue hopefully below.

Do you use code to organize data

Hi there, thank you for your response. Good question, it might depend on what you mean by organise? At the end of the Trial routine, I have the following code to print the typed word: thisExp.addData(“typedWord”, text.text). Otherwise, I basically have a go/no-go loop setup, which listens out for a SPACE press that leads to a text input component (which results in the concatenated “typedWord”). I hope this makes sense.

Your issue is the stop_routine_if_no_space loop. Is trials doesn’t yet work online, so userResponse is being saved in the row below stimulus presentation.

You have two choices.

1. Save anything you need from stimulusPresentation in code in the userResponse routine so that it appears in the same rows. You’ll still have extra rows, but they should be easy to ignore.

2. Instead of using a loop to selectively present userResponse, end the routine using continueRoutine = False in Begin Routine if no space. This is definitely the more elegant solution.

Thank you! I’ve made a continueRoutine loop now, according to 2.), and it’s definitely more elegant. However, the issue still remains in the online version. The location of the key_resp data from the welcome screen appears in different places in the data (also the data is still arranged differently online and offline). Could this be a potential cause of the issue? Or is it still to do with when it saves the response? I’ve tried turning isTrials on and off but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. Picture of 1. offline results file and 2. online results file below. Thank you so much again for your help (and for your brilliant crib sheet by the way)!