Microphone Installation

Hi, I am having difficulty with the microphone setting in PsychoPy. Essentially, the idea is that the screen would advance to the next slide when the participant made a verbal response.

Is this possible to programme in PschoPy?

Best wishes,
Nina

Hi Nina,

In this thread I provided a sample picture naming experiment that I run on a mac.

In some of my experiments I have issues completing the full experiment. Sometimes it will crash and debugging has been a challenge. And/but it should work for you if you use the basic skeleton provided in my sample picture naming experiment.

FG

Hi Frank,

This is really useful, thank you! For my experiment, the idea is that the screen would advance to the next slide when the participant responded verbally to get a measure of their reaction time.

Is there a way to programme this in PsychoPy?

Thanks again!

Best,
Nina

Hey Nina,

We connect a microphone to a device that converts a verbal response to a key press; when PsychoPy receives that key press we can use it to capture RT. If you don’t have such a device and want to get RT from a verbal response, you would have to use voice key functionality internal to PsychoPy. e.g.:

I haven’t done this yet so I don’t have much to say about how well it works. It seems pretty straightforward.

FG