Microphone component not working - a device handle issue?

OS (e.g. Win10): macOS 26.6.2
PsychoPy version (e.g. 2024.2.4 Py 3.8): v2026.2.3
Standard Standalone Installation? (y/n) If not then what?: Yes, Standalone
Do you want it to also run online? (y/n) N
What are you trying to achieve?: Record a sound (learn to use the mic component)

What did you try to make it work?:

  1. Gave mic access to PsychoPy manually

  2. Ensured that the Audio Library was Pyschtoolbox

  3. Specified a duration (not infinite, although I note Esc key issue seems to have been resolved in recent versions)

  4. Tried to specify Device and got error:

  5. Traceback (most recent call last):
      File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.11/psychopy_app/builder/dialogs/paramCtrls.py”, line 1835, in openDeviceManager
      File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.11/psychopy_app/deviceManager/dialog.py”, line 66, in __init__
      File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.11/psychopy_app/deviceManager/dialog.py”, line 89, in populate
      File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.11/psychopy_app/deviceManager/panel.py”, line 129, in __init__
    AttributeError: module ‘wx.propgrid’ has no attribute ‘PG_PROP_READONLY’
    
    
  6. Tried to specify Device through Device Manager, and got the same error as above

  7. Specified output file type, in case default was a problem

  8. Checked Sync timing with screen refresh

  9. When I run it, I get the following error in the Runner:

Link to the most relevant existing thread you have found:

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
Include pasted full error message if possible. “That didn’t work” is not enough information.

I’ve attached my script - it simply tries to run the mic component, to understand functionality. Thanks for any suggestions.

microphoneRecord.psyexp (6.9 KB)

My sincere apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere/before. I have not come across it in my search.

I changed the Audio library back to ‘sounddevice’ and now it works! I suppose psychtoolboxis not optimal for recording.

This is now fixed in 2026.2.4! The module we use for the interface of the standalone app released an update which removed some variables we were using, so we’ve now pinned it to the last compatible version.