psychopy.org | Reference | Downloads | Github

Issue running stimuli loop from .csv

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS (e.g. Win10): Win10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 2020.2.4
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: Standard Standalone? (y/n)
What are you trying to achieve?: call stimuli from .csv in loop

What did you try to make it work?:
Hello forum,

I have built almost this exact stimulus display function for a different project using PsychoPy 2 (for equipment compatibility reasons) so I wasn’t expecting any issues here but I am at a loss for what could be going on. I just need to present a series of trials in which an audio (.wav) and video (.mpeg) file are shown simultaneously. This works perfectly fine for a single trial if I call the .wav and .mpeg directly in their respective sound/movie builder components so I don’t think it has to do with the files or paths.

However, as soon as I add a loop and set the parameters accordingly in the sound and movie components, the experiment won’t run at all. I am able to enter a participant number and the blank grey background screen will load for a second or two but immediately quit. I’m not even getting any error messages, it’s as if the program has fully executed as normal.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the most recent version of PsychoPy 3 as well as fully updated my operating system but the problem persists.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated (especially since this was meant to be the first, and easiest step of building out a larger experiment)!

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
Occasionally I have gotten a message saying “PsychoPy has encountered an unhandled internal error” and prompting me to exit. This does not happen every time I try to run the program (the blank grey screen I described above is much more common) and occasionally it happens while I am working in the builder, not trying to run the program.

I don’t have an exact answer, but I was running into a similar issue with an experiment that worked fine a few weeks ago (although the error I got today was: AttributeError: Couldn’t make sense of requested image.)

I found this solution worked for me:

This part in particular:
low_files = [str(i) +'_low.jpg' for i in range(32)]

Hi Kelly, thanks for your response.

In case anyone lands on this thread hoping for answers in the future - I was able to get the experiment to run using this solution:

Apparently the fact that there were never any error messages displayed is a different bug all together
(No error messages or logging output in Stdout)