IOError: Found file but it failed to load as an image

OS Mac 10.14.3 Mojave
PsychoPy version (1.82.01):
**Standard Standalone? y
What are you trying to achieve?:

I am using PsychPy for an online psychology lab class. One of my students sent me his experiment files (in Builder view) so I could check the stimuli etc. Unfortunately I was not able to run it because of the following mistake:

Running: /Users/serena/Downloads/Kong_exp/ModifiedNavonTask_lastrun.py

0.5560 WARNING Movie2 stim could not be imported and won’t be available
8.5033 ERROR Found file ‘bigSqsmallCi.png’ but failed to load as an image
saved data to u’/Users/serena/Downloads/Kong_exp/data/s_ModifiedNavonTask_2019_Apr_03_0900.csv’
[Debug] 09:00:19: ATSFontFamilyFindFromName failed for Times
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/serena/Downloads/Kong_exp/ModifiedNavonTask_lastrun.py”, line 242, in
stimulus.setTex(stimFile)
File “/Applications/PsychoPy2.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/psychopy/visual/grating.py”, line 236, in setTex
self.tex = value
File “/Applications/PsychoPy2.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/psychopy/tools/attributetools.py”, line 20, in set
newValue = self.func(obj, value)
File “/Applications/PsychoPy2.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/psychopy/visual/grating.py”, line 221, in tex
res=self.texRes, maskParams=self.maskParams)
File “/Applications/PsychoPy2.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/psychopy/visual/basevisual.py”, line 654, in _createTexture
% (tex, os.path.abspath(tex))#ensure we quit
IOError: Found file ‘bigSqsmallCi.png’ [= /Users/serena/Downloads/Kong_exp/bigSqsmallCi.png] but it failed to load as an image

I have done a google search and found that others have had the same problem, but there is no definite answer. Found two related threads:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/psychopy-users/ulrvYmX1DKU
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/psychopy-users/ZglqF4AWGjA

But it does not seem to be a definite answer. In addition, this study will need to be run from other undergraduates that may not be familiar with the terminal etc.
I attach the file.

bigSqsmallCi

thank you in advance

I encountered this issue today (Psychopy 3.1.5) and I solved it by changing how I saved the png.

Apparently Psychopy can’t load an image if the color profile is saved into the file. There may also be other things that Psychopy stumbles on. Saving the png with GIMP’s default export settings should solve any issue with using a png as an image.

Definitely make sure to NOT select “save color profile” (highlighted with the cursor)

1 Like