Help! Noob in need of walk-thru! Or just some advice

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS (e.g. Win10): not sure
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): Not sure
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: Not Sure

What are you trying to achieve?:

My study is fairly straightforward. I am trying to build a program that presents trials of short video clips as stimuli, each followed by a keyboard response.

The video is of a boxer as seen from POV of participant, and the boxer throws a punch. The screen cuts to the response routine before it can be determined where the punch will go. Then they have 3 seconds to predict the location of the punch (left, right, or center), using the keyboard. Following their response, a different video will display and the cycle repeats.

There are 8 videos (conditions) that will be randomized 10 times for a total of 80 trials.

How do I create a loop that randomly (not full randomly) presents the 8 video routines, each followed by a keyboard response routine.

What I am really confused with is how to properly incorporate the Excel conditions and parameters into the builder so that PsychoPy knows the correct responses to the proper video.

What did you try to make it work?:

I could elaborate extensively on what I’ve tried to make this work and try to guess where I’ve gone wrong. But I think it would just be easier for a PsychoPy vet to walk me through the process of properly embedding video stimuli and creating the proper loop. I’m probably just a few adjustments off, but it could be that I botched the design from the start.

Any and all information is appreciated.

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:

The following is a list of errors that pop up in lieu of the program actually running. I have no idea what this indicates. Errors:

File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\movie3.py”, line 135, in init
self.loadMovie(self.filename)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\movie3.py”, line 202, in loadMovie
raise IOError(“Movie file ‘%s’ was not found” % filename)
OSError: Movie file ‘Vids_1/RRL’ was not found
Exception ignored in: <bound method MovieStim3.del of <psychopy.visual.movie3.MovieStim3 object at 0x0F7EEDF0>>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\movie3.py”, line 495, in del
self._unload()
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\movie3.py”, line 473, in _unload
self.clearTextures()
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\basevisual.py”, line 1003, in clearTextures
GL.glDeleteTextures(1, self._texID)
OSError: exception: access violation reading 0x00000000

That’s unlikely. It’s best if you precisely describe what you have done, and then people can work with that.

The error here is explicit. There is no movie file called Vids_1/RRL. The likely reason for this is that you have forgotten to include the suffix for the movie file name (e.g. .mp4, .mov, etc). You need to turn off that “feature” of Windows which is hiding these extensions from you. Although Windows is not showing them, they are there, and a file can’t be found in code without referring to its full and exact name.

You already seem to have the answer to this: in the loop dialog, simply set nReps to 10 and the loopType to random.

Simply put the pairs of values together in the same row of your conditions file. i.e. that file should have two columns and 8 rows + the header row.

Thank you for the advice. My mistake, you’re probably right, more information is likely better. I will attempt to implement some changes, and if I need further consultation I’d like to drop you a line, if thats okay with you.

Thanks again!

Currently, as soon as the trial is set to begin, after the welcome page, the program ends and the following errors display. I honestly do not know what any of this means. The video it says can’t be found is totally there, but it is not picking up on it.

“C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\contrib\lazy_import.py”, line 120, in call
return obj(*args, **kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\movie3.py”, line 135, in init
self.loadMovie(self.filename)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\movie3.py”, line 202, in loadMovie
raise IOError(“Movie file ‘%s’ was not found” % filename)
OSError: Movie file ‘Vids_1/RLL.mp4’ was not found
Exception ignored in: <bound method MovieStim3.del of <psychopy.visual.movie3.MovieStim3 object at 0x0F75D090>>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\movie3.py”, line 495, in del
self._unload()
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\movie3.py”, line 473, in _unload
self.clearTextures()
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\basevisual.py”, line 1003, in clearTextures
GL.glDeleteTextures(1, self._texID)
OSError: exception: access violation reading 0x00000000

And your experiment file is next to the folder ‘Vids_1’? And that’s definitely the copy of the experiment you’ve got open (not saved in multiple locations?)