Experiment stuck on initialising on pavlovia

URL of experiment: Files · master · Kiara / dccsTest · GitLab

Description of the problem: My experiment keeps getting stuck on initialising. It runs on my local but when I run it on pavlovia it gets stuck on ‘initialising experiment…’. I’ve tried solutions written in other posts but nothing is working. Please help! :slight_smile:

Hi,

Please could you be more specific in what you have tried? Have you tried opening developer tools to identify an error message there? Creating online studies from Builder — PsychoPy v2020.2 the mentioned crib sheet is here PsychoPy Python to Javascript crib sheet - Google Docs

Becca

Hi,

Thank you so much! I was able to solve the issue. I now unfortunately have another issue, I was hoping maybe you could help me solve it. At the end of my experiment theres a loop that should end after 36 trials, which runs correctly on my local but runs seemingly indefinitely on Pavlovia. I have no clue on how to start solving this, I really appreciate any help! The url of the updated experiment is here: Files · master · Kiara / dccstest2 · GitLab

Hi There,

Please can you confirm if you are still having this problem? If so please could you start a separate thread for a new issue (this will make it easier for future users who might find your post helpful).

Thanks!
Becca

Hi,

The problem was resolved.

Thanks!

Hi Becca,

I have encountering a similar issue. I have created a simple experiment for one of my students using builder. It works perfect on PsychoPy but is stuck on ‘initialising the experiment’ on pavlovia. I have followed your advice here by exploring developer tools to identify the error message, it is:

Uncaught syntaxerror: unexpected token ‘)’ lucydavies/mystroop/mystroop.js.85

I have reviewed the PsychoJS code line 85 and this is the line of code:

line85: psychoJS.experiment.dataFileName = ((“.” + “/”));

I have tried removing both ‘)’ in this line of code and I’ve tried removing the line of code altogether and it is still suck on the ‘initalising the experiment’ screen.

I’ve had a look at the crib sheet and the only similar issue I’ve found is:

Have a text component set to nothing as constant. This is a new error in 2020.2 and gives SyntaxError: Unexpected token ‘,’ in the console. The JavaScript will look like: text: / /

However, I do not have any builder components which are set to nothing.

Any advice with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Lucy :slight_smile:

Hi Lucy,

I strongly recommend against editing the PsychoJS code directly. Do you have an expInfo dialogue box with participant as one of the options?

https://psychopy.org/online/psychoJSCodingDebugging.html

Hi,

Thank you for your speedy response!

The issue was found after investigating the expinfo settings in PsychoPy. There was no Datafile name configured so Pavlovia couldn’t find the experiment, hence being stuck on initialising.

Thank you for your help.

Lucy