Error when trying to add any stimuli in builder

** Win10 **
** PsychoPy version 2020.1.2 **
**Standard Standalone? yes **

Hi everyone, I’m completely new to PsychoPy (just downloaded it today). I installed it via pycharm (version 2020.1.2. x64) and the pip3 install psychopy. I started to follow the tutorial (on this website) btu didn’t get too far. When I try to insert some text, I get following error (the first lines are there when I start the program already):

Welcome to PsychoPy3!
v2020.1.2
18.9452 WARNING Couldn’t connect to psychopy.org
Check internet settings (and proxy setting in PsychoPy Preferences.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “c:\users\lenovo\miniconda3\envs\newproject\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\builder.py”, line 905, in onClick
timeout=timeout)
File “c:\users\lenovo\miniconda3\envs\newproject\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\dialogs_init_.py”, line 1758, in init
timeout=timeout)
File “c:\users\lenovo\miniconda3\envs\newproject\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\dialogs_init_.py”, line 510, in init
ctrls = self.addCategoryOfParams(theseParams, parent=page)
File “c:\users\lenovo\miniconda3\envs\newproject\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\dialogs_init_.py”, line 617, in addCategoryOfParams
currRow)
File “c:\users\lenovo\miniconda3\envs\newproject\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\dialogs_init_.py”, line 720, in addStartStopCtrls
flag=wx.ALIGN_RIGHT | wx.ALIGN_CENTRE_VERTICAL)
wx._core.wxAssertionError: C++ assertion “!(flags & wxALIGN_CENTRE_VERTICAL)” failed at …\src\common\sizer.cpp(2077) in wxBoxSizer::DoInsert(): Vertical alignment flags are ignored in vertical sizers

I tried to check the proxy setting in PsychoPy references but I get another error (and can’t access the preferences menu):

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “c:\users\lenovo\miniconda3\envs\newproject\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app_psychopyApp.py”, line 771, in showPrefs
prefsDlg = PreferencesDlg(app=self)
File “c:\users\lenovo\miniconda3\envs\newproject\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\preferencesDlg.py”, line 175, in init
sizer.Add(line, 0, lineStyle, 5)
wx._core.wxAssertionError: C++ assertion “!(flags & wxALIGN_CENTRE_VERTICAL)” failed at …\src\common\sizer.cpp(2077) in wxBoxSizer::DoInsert(): Vertical alignment flags are ignored in vertical sizers

I’m really not sure what the problem could be and I don’t know where to start even. I’d appreciate any tips or hints on what I should try!

Hi Jana,

This happens sometimes with pip installs - the last release uses an older version of wx, if you install using the .exe installer then it installs this version with PsychoPy but if you have the latest version of wx installed then it will try to use that on an IDE like PyCharm. In the near future we’ll (hopefully) be releasing a new version which will use the newest wx and will be stable - if you want to try it out then you’re welcome to pull from the master branch:

but be aware that it’s still in development so will have other bugs, so for a safer option I recommend downgrading your version of wx in pip and then re-upgrading when the next release of Psychopy is out.

Hi,

Thanks so much for the explanation and help. I definitely want to go for the safe option and just get it running. I’m not sure though what exactly I need to do… What exactly is the wx? And how can I downgrade my version of wx in pip?