Error syncing separate experiments, attempted across multiple devices

URL of experiment: Pavlovia

Description of the problem: I have several psychopy experiments that I have been running successfully online up until a few days ago (the above experiment being one example). The experiments are stored on a server so i can usually use two different laptops to edit the experiments, however i get an error when trying to sync on either device. I have tried deleting git folders, reinstalling psychopy on both devices, with no luck. I have also tried creating a new experiment locally and syncing that, which has also produced the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui\project.py”, line 165, in submitChanges
self.project.getRepo(forceRefresh=True)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 753, in getRepo
self.newRepo(infoStream=infoStream)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 813, in newRepo
self.repo.create_remote(‘origin’, url=self[‘remoteHTTPS’])
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\git\repo\base.py”, line 399, in create_remote
return Remote.create(self, name, url, **kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\git\remote.py”, line 612, in create
repo.git.remote(scmd, name, Git.polish_url(url), **kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 548, in
return lambda *args, **kwargs: self._call_process(name, *args, **kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 1014, in _call_process
return self.execute(call, **exec_kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 825, in execute
raise GitCommandError(command, status, stderr_value, stdout_value)
git.exc.GitCommandError: Cmd(‘C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\MinGit\cmd\git.exe’) failed due to: exit code(128)
cmdline: C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\MinGit\cmd\git.exe remote add origin Sign in · GitLab
stderr: ‘fatal: remote origin already exists.’

When syncing for a new project, the new project appears on Pavlovia, so i think the issue is specific to the syncing of projects. Does anyone have any ideas what i can do to fix this issue? Thanks in advance for your help

I’ve found that I can’t sync from a cloud drive (Google Drive or OneDrive) and instead sync from my local drive.

I can work from multiple computers because Pavlovia has the latest version and I can sync and reload before working from a different computer.

yep, that’s fixed it! syncing completely fine when i move it to the local drive. I’m not sure how I’ve been getting away with using the cloud drive for so long, but thank you for help me fix this quickly!

1 Like

I had the same error when synching for a new Pavlovia project and the solution was the same. Copying the folder containing my PsychoPy files to the C drive and synching from there, instead of from the remote drive where my work user account resides, allowed the synch to work. As noted above, synching from a remote drive used to work, but now it doesn’t.