Collecting word association response data

Hi all,

I’m evaluating Psychopy prior to making a research grant proposal, and I need to know if it can do what I want it to do before I submit the proposal (so I can avoid having to budget for ePrime :wink:).

Basically I want to run word association experiments in which the following things happen:

• a stimulus word gets presented
  • the RT from a space bar press is recorded, and also triggers…
  • a prompt for the respondent to type in the word they wish to give as their response. This needs to be visible to the participant as they type, and modifications (i.e. using the delete key) need to be allowable.
  • These responses are recorded, and the next trial begins.

I’ve played around and not been able to make this happen in Builder (text entry seems to be the problem) but I may be missing something obvious. I just need to know if this stuff is theoretically possible in Psychopy. I don’t mind learning a bit of coding stuff, as long as it’s is doable in the end.

Thanks,

Peter

OS (e.g. Win10):
**PsychoPy version 3.07):
**Standard Standalone? (y)

Hi @Peter_Thwaites, this is easily done using Builder, using text and code components. Here is an example, the functionality is there, but could be styled more nicely. The structure of the experiment is, two routines in a loop.

The first routine presents the target word, and the second routine collects the response. The target word is defined by a conditions file that is provided in the loop handler. The target word has a duration of 2 seconds, after that the second routine begins and the user is prompted to type the target word.

In the second routine, there are two text components, one presenting the instruction text, and another that is updated on every key press, so that the text appears on screen. It has basic functionality for now, but can be improved. For now, typed text appears on screen, you can capitalize single text entries, ends trials on return, and delete characters when back space is pressed. All typed data is saved as well, using the code component. This can also be made to work online.

Example: inputText.psyexp (12.7 KB)
cond.xlsx (7.8 KB)

You can read about all the Builder concepts, such as loops, here. There is also a Stroop tutorial available to get you familiar with building experiments using PsychoPys Builder interface

Wow, thank you very much, what a great reply!

Hi @dvbridges , I cannot download your inputText.psyexp file. When I click the hyperlink, it is just a link that opens the page showing codes.
Can you check this out?

Thx:)

Hi @Brian_Byungju_Park , you can copy ans paste the code there into a a notepad file and save as .psyexp.

Alternatively, see Pavlovia for this demo

https://run.pavlovia.org/demos/textinput/html/

Also, there is a new textbox in the latest version of PsychoPy which you can use straight from Builder, no code required.