psychopy.org | Reference | Downloads | Github

Can't record speech onset with mic component

OS (e.g. Win10): Win10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): latest 2021.2.3
Standard Standalone? (y/n) Y
What are you trying to achieve?: I am compiling a picture-naming task. I would like to record speech onset with the built-in option in the microphone component.

What did you try to make it work?:
I inserted a mic component into my routine and switched on the feature Speaking start/stop Times

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
I have all sorts of issues with making the microphone component work for me. A summary:

1. I can only obtain clean voice recordings by setting Audio latency priority to 1. With higher priority settings I get distorted audio files.

2. The microphone component works without complaining only if I set the duration to match the duration of the routine. If I set it shorter the experiment crashes after the first trial and I get the following error:

File "D:\PsichoPy_projects\Pic_naming_task\picture_naming_lastrun.py", line 409, in <module>
    mic.stop()
  File "C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\sound\microphone.py", line 803, in stop
    "Cannot stop a stream that has not been started.")
psychopy.sound.exceptions.AudioStreamError: Cannot stop a stream that has not been started.

3. Despite all the adjustments and having tried different combinations of settings (audio library, latency mode, driver) I can only output the audio clip recordings and the mic.started times. I cannot produce the speech onset times. The output csv file doesn’t even generate the dedicated column, I only get mic.clip, mic.started, mic.stopped.

Does anybody spot what might be the issue? I’ve run out of ideas.