Empty microphone record folder when record voice through microphone component

Hello everyone!

I am having a problem recording audio responses on builder.
I get the mic result folder empty.
I tried to make the recording limited to specific seconds, but that did not solve the problem. I also added a keyboard key that forces to stop the routine, and that also did not work!
I am using PsychoPy v2021.2.3
I have a MacBook (Catalina, 10.15.7)
And I get this message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/Documents/audio recording_lastrun.py”, line 227, in
mic.stop()
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/psychopy/sound/microphone.py”, line 803, in stop
“Cannot stop a stream that has not been started.”)
psychopy.sound.exceptions.AudioStreamError: Cannot stop a stream that has not been started.
Experiment ended.

Any idea? Thank you in advance!

you have a try : mic.stop

Could you please provide more details?
I am really waiting for an answer as my experiment is now on hold because of this problem.

did you used two microphone components

No, It is just one!

You may check your computer driver of sound card

I think you are right because it works properly when uploaded the experiment to Pavlovia!

Thank you for your response!

Have you solved the problem yet

It only works when using Pavlovia and where my participants had no issue. So, try it on Pavlovia and see if works for you too.

Does your :microphone: Microphone component have start time set to be a condition? It may be that that condition isn’t hit on one trial and so the mic is never started, causing the error when it comes time to stop. Could you share the psyexp file?

Hello TParsons!

I have almost the same problem: I’m building a verbal fluency task in which I have to record the participant’s responses (voice). When the experiment finishes, the audio files go to my data folder, but they’re all ‘empty’. It shows that that are audio files there, but they don’t play. Do you know what it could be? I’m struggling with that it’s been weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, the speaking start/stop time is checked on my mic!
I also selected ‘wav’ output file type and on Hardware → sample rate I selected 'Voice (16 kHz). It works on Pavlovia very well! I hope that helps!

Please check my previous response!
Good luck!

Speaking Start / Stop Times is different from the start time of the :microphone: Microphone - Speaking Start / Stop Times means “Store when the participants started speaking (yes/no)”, what I’m referring to is the start time of the Component. This is the first parameter on the Basic tab