Cannot upload experiment to Pavlovia on multiple OS

Hi all,

I am running an updated version of a study that was successfully designed on psychopy and run on Pavlovia earlier this year. The only change to the study has been the stimuli .csv files where it pulls the path to the stimuli from and that the .psyexp file are now in a new folder alongside the new stimuli.

The new experiment was designed in Ubuntu 22.04 running Psychopy3 2022.1.1 in a virtual environment which uses Python 3.8 (vs. a newer version of python that is incompatible with PsychoPy on base Ubuntu22). With this set up, the experiment runs well on Psychopy, but when I try to connect to Pavlovia the builder crashes- I assume it is related to the fact I am running it in a virtual environment, but I am unaware of any fix for this. The older version of the experiment, which uploaded to Pavlovia successfully was designed on Psychopy 2022.1.1 on Ubuntu 20, which has Python 3.8 as base.

Note also, when I create a new experiment and begin the upload of the experiment, an experiment with that name is created but is empty and when I try to pilot the experiment I am redirected to a webpage that just reads forbidden 403. So it seems other than the name nothing of the experiment is being uploaded.

My initial solution was to transfer the experimental folder with all the files to a Mac (running OS Catalina with PsychoPy 2021.1). Again, the experiment runs very well in Psychopy, but when I attempt to upload it I receive the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/psychopy/app/builder/builder.py”, line 1339, in onPavloviaRun
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/psychopy/app/builder/builder.py”, line 1416, in project
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/psychopy/projects/pavlovia.py”, line 1068, in getProject
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/psychopy/projects/pavlovia.py”, line 1049, in getGitRoot
File “subprocess.pyc”, line 356, in check_output
File “subprocess.pyc”, line 438, in run
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command ‘[‘git’, ‘branch’, ‘—show-current’]’ returned non-zero exit status 128.

This suggests that there is some issue with the .git file in the experimental folder. The experiment folder is connected to the experiment’s git independently of PsychoPy. I have searched this error on the discourse and I have not found any solution- please excuse me if I have missed a relevant thread.

My final attempt was to use a Windows 11 computer with PsychoPy 2022.2.4 standalone. Once again, the experiment runs well on PsychoPy. However, when I try to sync with PsychoPy the builder synchronizes for a number of minutes and then the application stops responding.

As the upload is not working I assume it is something (most likely some conflicting git files) inside the experiment folder itself causing this issue, not an issue with various versions of PsychoPy occurring across all of these operating systems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sam