Can't upload experiment to Pavlovia

Description of the problem:
When I click the button to send my experiment to pavoliva, psychopy crashes. There’s no error message.

Hey! Probably some preference is corrupted. To clean everything out, try this:

• Uninstall PsychoPy
  • Delete the PsychoPy preferences in %APPDATA%\psychopy3, see Troubleshooting — PsychoPy v2021.2
  • Reinstall PsychoPy
  • In your project folder, show hidden folders and delete the .git folder

Now everything is in mint condition again; please reopen your psyexp file and try syncing again.

You’re trying to run a Python script in the command line; that won’t work indeed :). Try this instead:

1. Navigate to this folder with your File Explorer: %APPDATA%\psychopy3 ,
  2. Select the contents of that directory and delete

Hi,

I followed through all these steps but still whenever i try to launch my study on pavlovia psychopy just says not responding and closes the app.

Hi, I’ve found this useful for an issue I’ve been experiencing. In the Troubleshooting document it says “make sure you change python to the appropriate one for PsychoPy” I’m not sure which python version is the right one for Psychopy?
I’ve also installed python on my computer to use with anaconda/spyder so I’m not sure how to specify that I want to reference Psychopy in the terminal.

The PsychoPy standalone package comes bundled with the right version of Python for it, so if you use that one, it shouldn’t be something you need to worry about. Installation — PsychoPy v2021.2

Do you know why psychopy says not responding every time i try to upload my experiment? And if i open pavlovia in the web browser myself and try to pilot my study it says 403 forbidden.

Hi there - I am having this same problem, but cannot understand the troubleshooting section for deleting the preference files. I am using a mac… is there an idiot’s guide to doing this please?(!)

My post on July 29th (see earlier in this thread,) contains a number of steps, which, if you do all of them, likely fixes this problem. Have you tried that?

I did see your post - that’s what I was saying, I didn’t understand how to do it. I deleted Psychopy, but don’t understand step 2: “The exact location of those files varies by machine but… on Linux/MacOS it will be something like ~/.psychopy3. You can find it running this in the commandline (if you have multiple Python installations then make sure you change python to the appropriate one for PsychoPy:” what am I putting this command into? Python? I have 3.9. is this appropriate? (I don’t use it). if so I get this:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “<pyshell#2>”, line 1, in
from psychopy import prefs; print(prefs.paths[‘userPrefsDir’])
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘psychopy’
which is no help. Moreover in the following paragraph it suggests I was looking for a folder, not a file. Nor do I know how to delete hidden files from github. hence the request for an idiot’s guide.

Thanks for your feedback. Let me give some more pointers in relation to your two questions. First off, I use Windows, so this might be different for other operating systems, such as MacOS.

Delete prefs folder

To get to the PsychoPy prefs folder, I paste %APPDATA%\psychopy3 into the address bar of my file explorer and press the enter key on my keyboard (step 1) . It will automatically take me to the right folder on my computer. Next, I click on the folder at the left side, and press the delete key on my keyboard (step 2).

Delete .git folder

First enable showing hidden files and folders. In the folder that contains your experiment, you should see a sub-folder named .git. Select it and delete it.

Hope this helps!

I have the exact same issue, did you ever figure it out??

So I also have a MAC and deleted psychopy but don’t have a psychopy3 folder remaining or when I paste %APPDATA% nothing shows up… also I set the settings to reveal hidden folders and typed in .git and did not find anything although I have not re installed yet

redownloaded and found psychopy3 folder but not APPDATA (also looked at link) but I did find git files now after downloading and deleted them

Hi,
I am experiencing the same issue. I have tried uninstall-delete %Appdata/psychopy%-reinstall-delete-.git. The file works fine locally. However, my Psychopy crashed every time I tried to upload my study to Pavlovia.

I am using v2023.2.3. Would much appreciate some help!

What does/did this do?

Hi, thanks for replying to me. The first try did no trick; still crashed whenever I tried to sync. I repeated this procedure only that, instead of installing the latest 2024 version, I installed v2023.2.3 and it works fine now (yes, I created my code in v2023). I do not know if that was the reason why the second but not the first try worked though.