403 Forbidden when running online

PsychoPy version : 2022.2.5
Standard Standalone? : yes

Hi there,
I’m writing here hoping to find help! I’m pretty new with PsychoPy. Currently I’m having problems while running my experiments online.

This experiment Experiment3 [PsychoPy]
is on running mode and it has enough credits, but when I click on the link just a blank page appears and nothing else. On the GitLab repository there seems to be all the required files, such as the index.html.
This experiment works locally except for the audio stimuli, which can’t be heard: I had already asked here for help, but I still haven’t found a solution.

For this experiment https://run.pavlovia.org/MariaPalmieri/bat3
the problem is different, i.e. it is on running mode, there are enough credits, but when I try to run it I get the message “403 Forbidden nginx”. The same experiment works perfectly locally.
On the GitLab repository there is a file .gitignore, but there is no index.html: is this the problem? if so, how can this folder be created?

I really hope someone can help me, all these issues are blocking my project and I don’t know what to do :frowning:
Any advice would be appreciated, thank you in advance!

Hello,

it is better to open two posts, one for each question.

If the experiment does not run offline, it won’t run online. What software platform and version is shown by Pavlovia? If it is unkown, your experiment did not compile without errors.

grafik

Problem two. The experiment will not run if there is no index.html. Does this experiment compile without errors?

Best wishes Jens

Hi Jens,
thanks a lot for your answer and also for your tip about making two different posts.

In both my experiments, the software platform is “unknown”… what does it mean exactly and how can I solve this?

As far as the index.html is concerned, I don’t know if the experiment compiles without errors. As I said, everything works locally, in fact the runner doesn’t signal any error. Why there is no index.html and what can I do to create it?

Hello,

usually platform unknown means that the Javascript PsychoPy produces is not without errors and therefore it is not recognized by Pavlovia. Did you try to run the experiments locally in a browser?

grafik

Pressing the JS-icon creates JavaScript and pressing the hash-marks, runs the experiment locally in a browser

grafik

I assume that Export HTML is set to either on Sync or on Save.

grafik

Best wishes Jens

Hello Jens,
thank you again for your answer.

“Export html” is set to “on Sync”.

I’ve been working a lot on what you said.
Actually now I just made things worse… since I was stuck, I eliminated the projects on Pavlovia, in order to create new ones while synchronising them again.
But it doesn’t seem possibile: even though I create a new project, I get a message saying “sync failed - could not find project with id MariaPalmieri/bat2” (which was the name of the previous project). Plus, the repository on GitLab is empty.

I guess I have to recreate the experiments also locally from the beginning, right?

Hello Maria

delete the .git-folder (might be hidden) and the .gitignore file. Try to resync. This should recreate a new repository on Gitlab.

Best wishes Jens

I did what you said but this is what I get…

Hello

what happens when you try to sync another experiment from another folder. Does this work?

Best wishes Jens

Hi

using another experiment, the exact same thing happens.

Instead, using a third experiment, I do manage to re-synchronize it and I see folders in the repository. Nevertheless, the js file is still missing and in fact it doesn’t pilot. I also tried to manually export the html and to create it by pressing the hash-marks - as you suggested - but nothing changes.

I guess, I can create the experiments locally again from the beginning, they were pretty short (luckily).
But the problem related to the creation of the javascript file remains… what am I doing wrong?

In the meanwhile, I really thank you for your patience and your help!!

Hello

well as I said before I assume that your JavaScript-files do not compile without error. The one experiment you posted in another thread had at least one error which prevented it from running. Unless you correct these errors, you won’t be able to run experiments online.

I suggest that you start with a very simple experiment, check whether it runs locally and online, and then proceed to the next step. This way you know at least where/when the error occurs and can provide a proper error description.

Best wishes Jens