psychopy.org | Reference | Downloads | Github

Tobii Eye Tracker: Infant Calibration

eyetracking

Hi all,

I have a Tobii X3-120 eye tracker and will be conducting an experiment with 2-year-olds.

One feature of Tobii Studio that I really enjoy is the “infant calibration” mode – animated gifs/short vidoes are played instead of fixation points, greatly enhancing the attention of infants.

I see that in the ioHub documentation, only “circle_targets” are currently supported for calibration from psychopy when using a tobii. I’m wondering if anyone has found a workaround or other methods for displaying alternative fixation points for calibration.

Thanks so much for your help, community!

Best,
Phil

Hi Phil,
I just noticed this post recently, in case you still need a solution:
I programmed a package to integrate PsychoPy and Tobii eye tracker (T60) for developmental research, psychopy_tobii_infant.

I used images of animals which would resize itself continuously to attract the child (10 to 12-month-olds).
It was effective in my case, but I’m not sure how 2-year-olds will react. Maybe you would need to modify the code for your experiment :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

Yuhan

Hi Yuhan,

This looks fantastic! Thank you so very much for your reply!

Best,
Phil

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the reply.
I’m currently rewrite the package for improvement, so there must be some bugs that I need to fix.
If you want a more stable Tobii controller, psychopy_tobii_controller is useful. My scripts are based on it.

I plan to finish the project in this weekend or next week. If you use it and encounter problems, please let me know. Comments/suggestions are much appreciated!

Good luck!
Yuhan