Task keeps hanging/freezing PC

OS (e.g. Win10): windows 10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 3.0.3
Standard Standalone? (y/n) Y

I have a task created through the builder. After about 20-30 mins the task hangs and freezes my PC. There is no option but force quite the PC. As such there are no error messages to help diagnose the problem.

I’ve seen in other threads that compiling the task and running the script from the coder has helped others, but this has not removed the problem for me.

Has anyone found a solution to this? I am almost certain this is not a coding error (the task goes through all loops fine until the freeze and the freeze happens at inconsistent points - but always 20-30 mins in).

It has also been suggested that this may be a memory problem. I guess this is potentially true, but I’m not running any sounds or videos, just text and images.

Cheers,
Anthony

Hi @Anthony, do you have any print statements in your code that may be overloading the output buffer?

Would that include text components?

On each trial I have two text components which draw the text from a conditions file.

No, just code snippets that may be printing something to the output console that you may have left in and forgotten about. If not, then to help I think we would need to know a bit more about what are you doing and possibly have a minimal working example.

Apologies for the delayed reply. I’m not sure how best to create a minimal working example easily for this task. I’m now back in the office though where I have two screens - so when the task freezes on one of them I can get out of it without force quitting the whole laptop. So I’ve now been able to get the error message:

Does this mean anything to you? I’ve tried googling it and some posts come up referring to updated modules. However, I only downloaded psychopy a few weeks ago so I think I’m up-to-date. FYI I reduced the time in a lot of my task so this still happens when the task is totalling 10 minutes instead of 40, with the freeze occuring about 6 mins in (in the full length it was about 25 mins in).

Thanks for your help and time.
Cheers,
Anthony