StandalonePsychoPy-2021.2.3-win64.exe triggers a Trojan:Win32/Vigorf quarantine

When downloading an older version i get a Trojan warning and Defender quarantines it. Not willing to try if it’s a false positive tbh although it is likely. Windows defender has a history of flagging this one but one never knows.
@jon I did install this before without this happening on the same system (I stupidly uninstalled this same version from the wrong laptop) could you check if something is amiss ?

thanks

Joost

Edit: I ran it though Malwarebytes and Crowdstrike and came up clean so I guess it’s a false positive

I certainly haven’t heard of anyone having trouble before so, and that file has been downloaded 48,410 times! If the file hasn’t been messed with on its way to you* then I think it’s probably a false positive

*check it has Open Science Tools code signature

Apparently there were a few similar triggers years back.

It only triggers on Windows Defender (apparently it can trigger on a C " Hello world" exe so anything halfway executable) and it quarantines it directly. So you have to un-quarantine it while you have an alternative scanner running as you really don’t want trojans on your system.

Thanks

J

Dear all,

I just wanted to follow up on this thread and say I encountered the same problem a few days ago.
After downloading the file .exe for the PC standalone version (2021.2.3), Windows Defender flagged it as a malicious file containing the Vigorf trojan. The virus and the file .exe were automatically removed by Windows Defender. I don’t know if it was a false positive (our IT department suggested that maybe that was the case), but I just wanted to let you know @jon that I encountered the same problem reported by @jriph.

Best,
Martina

Ps. I’m tagging our Lab Manager @BemboLab in this post so she can follow this thread.

FWIW I think Defender get triggered when you install from the downloads folder because when I run the same file from a different location it does not trigger defender.

Hi everyone,
I just received the same Trojan:win32/Vigorf.A warning for the 2022 standalone installer .exe file, which I downloaded and installed 2 years ago!! Is there any update on this? Windows defender has removed the file from my computer, but the file has been on my computer (and installed) for 2 years. Is it a confirmed false positive? Bit scary

Thanks,
Julia

**edit - my installation doesn’t have any digital signatures. I downloaded it from the Psychopy website 2 years ago. Could my trojan warning be legitimate?

** edit 2 - ohh wait, I just realised that you meant to check the .exe file’s digital signature, not the actual installation files. Windows Defender removed the .exe file, so I can’t check that file anymore. I’m going to uninstall this older version of PsychoPy, just in case. But I’m still wondering if there is any update regarding why this is triggering Trojan warnings and if there is any likelihood it is real?