Save valence-arousal ratings for each video, for 160 videos

PsychoPy version: v1.90.3
Standard Standalone? Y

What are you trying to achieve?:
Hi, I’d like to collect valence and arousal ratings for 160 ten-second video clips. I.e. labellers would watch the 10s clip, then rate Valence, then Arousal on a continuous scale (visual analog scale). This is for a computer vision dataset.

These 160 videos are broken in 4 groups of 40 each, each comprising 4 types of videos (B1/N1/P1/U1; 12 + 12 + 9 + 7, respectively).
order

groups

What did you try to make it work?:
I created one routine for valence-ratings, and one routine for arousal-ratings, and I’m hoping to use that in a double loop to capture everything. I would like 160 valence ratings, and 160 arousal ratings in total, per participant.

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
I have tried it a shorter pilot of 16 videos, wanting to collect 16 separate valence and 16 separate arousal ratings. But the data I’m getting doesn’t seem to reflect this. Instead, I only get 4 valence and 4 arousal ratings.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be using a different valence/arousal routine each time?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Your problem: If the experiment runs but doesn’t show all the data (maybe just shows the last of each run?) then my first guess is that your (inner) loops, or at least one of them, has the ‘isTrials’ unticked.

Using the same routines for the ratings is correct. In fact I would probably have gone further and used the same routine for the videos as well:

(sorry, rate_a not rate_s)

The key is to choose different conditions files for your inner loop, using a variable, which is controlled by a column in the outer blocks loop.

The Builder book has a chapter on creating block designs to help :wink:

Wow, thank you so much Jon!! I didn’t even think of going that one step further, but might implement it… :slight_smile: Elegant code makes me happy.

Further question. Will this entire experiment be possible to do on Pavlovia / PsychoPy3 (with the videos uploaded to a sharing platform, and embedded, rather than stored locally)? I watched some parts of the launch video and it looks very exciting!