I have been trying to build an experiment on PsychoPY and kind of got stuck at a certain point. I will try to describe the design & the problem as best as I can:
- There are two stimuli: Images (3 different types; let’s call them A, B and C) and shapes (3 different types. Let’s call them X, Y and Z). And each image is related / connected to a particular shape type.
- Each image type is presented 10 times. And 8 out of 10 times, the shape will be presented centrally on the image towards the last seconds of that image display (Example: Image A is shown for 10 seconds. But starting from 7th second, the shape X appears on the image and then they together disappear at the end of 10th second)
- There is an inter-trial interval as well. Just a blank screen.
As seen in the image below, I created 3 routines. In the first one (“Acquisition_1_cs_1) Image A (“image_2”) is displayed and followed by shape X (“cue_circle_2”). The other two routines are identical to this one, only the image and the corresponding shape differs.
(Note: In the picture, it looks like the shape (cue_circle_2) appears at the beginning of the image but this is not the case. I define the start of the appearence of both stimuli with $jitter and it works, for some reason the PsychoPY shows the timeline this way. Just wanted to explain it. I have no problem regarding the timing - at least for now - but rather have problems about other things which I will describe below)
And the loop properties can be seen in the picture below: The loop is iterated for 10 times as we want each picture to be presented for 10 times.
So, the questions & problems:
- I would like the order of the routines within the loop to be random rather than sequential. How could this be achieved?
Solutions that I tried for Problem 1:
- Creating only one routine and make an excel file with a random order of the images so that they can appear in a random order. However, I could not figure out how to make a different shape appear for the respective image within one routine. Hence, I created three different routines.
- I would also like to present the shapes at the end of the images only for 8 iteration of the loop. For the rest of the 2 iterations, I would like the shapes not to appear. How can this be done?
Solutions that I tried for Problem 2:
- I tried to make additional separate routines which do not include the shape stimuli (say, “Acquisition_1_cs_1_extra”) And make ithat one loop for 2 times, and make the other actual routine loop for 8 times (“Acquisition_1_cs_1”). However this did not make sense because again, I would like the order to be random (i.e. I don’t want the routine “Acquisition_1_cs_1" to appear 8 times in a row sequentially…)
Any help / ideas would be appreciated. Thank you!