Recieving subject id automatically

Hi,
My subjects are asked to perform a task on my website and then they should fill a survey.
The hardest issue here is to synchronize the data, collected by my task (not related to psychopy), and the survey.
To perform an automatic data sync (by user id) I need to write a user’s id (that he receives on my website) to the survey database.

I’m wondering whether a psychopy survey can get subject id (created by my website) as a variable.

Thanks,

Pavel

We will be supporting the use of variables in URL requests, yes, but that isn’t implemented at the moment. Note that this is just a proof of principle so far, with serious development due to begin soon.

Same issue here, don’t want to rely on participants typing in their correct ID :wink:

I’ve found a workaround that I want to share here, so people might be able to test and improve it. Please mind that I have not tested this solution under “real” conditions yet. However, so far it’s been working for me :slight_smile:

1. You can get attributes from the URL as described here. Let’s say your URL is my_experiment.html, then you could add each participant’s ID by adding my_experiment.html/?id="[insert ID]"

2. Now you need to add a function to the index.html file to read the ID from the URL. There are many ways to do this, I’ve used this suggestion, because it was the simplest I came across.
    Add the function at the beginning of the script where all the other functions are defined. Since I will only read attribute “id” from the URL, I’ve adjusted the function

function getURLparameter() {
    		return decodeURIComponent((new RegExp('[?|&]' + 'id' + '=' + '([^&;]+?)(&|#|;|$)').exec(location.search)||[,""])[1].replace(/\+/g, '%20'))||null;
	}
  1. Also in the index.html file, add
scheduler.add(getURLparameter);

where this is done for all the other functions.

1. Now adjust the gui. In my experiment, they shouldn’t have to enter any information themselves, so I simply instruct them to click OK.

In function run() in the index.html file, change expInfo to an empty dictionary:

expInfo = {};

In function updateInfo(), add

expInfo['participant'] = getURLparameter();

You should use the key ‘participant’ cause that’s how it is defined in data.js (otherwise you’d have to change that too I guess).

1. In the gui.js script, you’ll see a line saying
<p class="validateTips">Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.</p>';

You could change this to say something like

'<p class="validateTips">Click "OK" to start task.</p>';		

Hope it helps and I didn’t forget to note any step.

1 Like