PsychoPy crashes when uploading exp online

Windows hp laptop
PsychoPy 2022.1.1

Hello,

I have built an experiment using the Builder which works fine locally. This will be an online study, so I clicked the globe symbol with the play button to sync it to Pavlovia. After logging in and choosing a folder, PsychoPy crashes with the following error message in a pop up window:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\lb1210\AppData\Local\Programs\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\builder.py”, line 1383, in onPavloviaRun
pavlovia_ui.syncProject(parent=self, project=self.project)
File “C:\Users\lb1210\AppData\Local\Programs\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui\project.py”, line 686, in syncProject
functions.showCommitDialog(parent, project, initMsg=“”, infoStream=dlg.status)
File “C:\Users\lb1210\AppData\Local\Programs\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui\functions.py”, line 94, in showCommitDialog
changeDict, changeList = project.getChanges()
File “C:\Users\lb1210\AppData\Local\Programs\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 1017, in getChanges
changeDict[‘untracked’] = self.repo.untracked_files
File “C:\Users\lb1210\AppData\Local\Programs\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 858, in repo
self._repo = self.newRepo()
File “C:\Users\lb1210\AppData\Local\Programs\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 922, in newRepo
repo = git.Repo.init(self.localRoot)
File “C:\Users\lb1210\AppData\Local\Programs\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\git\repo\base.py”, line 1046, in init
git.init(**kwargs)
File “C:\Users\lb1210\AppData\Local\Programs\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 638, in
return lambda *args, **kwargs: self._call_process(name, *args, **kwargs)
File “C:\Users\lb1210\AppData\Local\Programs\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 1183, in _call_process
return self.execute(call, **exec_kwargs)
File “C:\Users\lb1210\AppData\Local\Programs\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 983, in execute
raise GitCommandError(redacted_command, status, stderr_value, stdout_value)
git.exc.GitCommandError: Cmd(‘C:\Users\lb1210\AppData\Local\Programs\PsychoPy\MinGit\cmd\git.exe’) failed due to: exit code(128)
cmdline: C:\Users\lb1210\AppData\Local\Programs\PsychoPy\MinGit\cmd\git.exe init
stderr: ‘fatal: bad config line 1 in file //storage.its.york.ac.uk/pshome/lb1210/My Documents/Lydia/counterbalance1_10/.git/config’

On the Pavlovia website on Dashboard under Experiments, the experiment does appear, but when I click into it and click on View Code there is nothing. It won’t let me change the status from Inactive to Piloting.

There are no error messages in the Runner window. It runs locally fine. Everything the experiment requires (images, excel sheet) are all contained in 1 folder with nothing else in. The experiment folder was inside another folder, so I moved it out of that and tried again but same problem.

I am not sure what is causing the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Lydia

Hey, I am fairly new to PsychoPy/Pavlovia, so I am not sure why this happens, but maybe syncing issues and the fact that you moved the experiment folder.

When I have a similar problem (e.g., the code is not showing, the version box is empty etc.) I delete the experiment from the Pavlovia server all together (and the html and git file from the folder) and start anew. Usually this solves it for me :slight_smile:

It is probably that the git file has a reference to the old location, which gitlab (the system through which pavlovia syncs) doesn’t like. If you make sure that hidden folders are visible from file explorer then delete the folder called “.git”, when you next sync PsychoPy will make a new one which hopefully will refer to the correct file locations.

It’s also worth updating to the latest version as, in-between 2022.1.x and 2022.2.x, a lot of the bugs we fixed were related to syncing online experiments from Builder.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. So I deleted the old .git file, updated to the most recent version of PsychoPy (2022.2.3) and the same pop up window with I think the same error message appears:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\builder.py”, line 1374, in onPavloviaSync
pavlovia_ui.syncProject(parent=self, file=self.filename, project=self.project)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui\project.py”, line 777, in syncProject
committed = functions.showCommitDialog(parent, project, initMsg=“”, infoStream=dlg.status)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui\functions.py”, line 94, in showCommitDialog
changeDict, changeList = project.getChanges()
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 1058, in getChanges
changeDict[‘untracked’] = self.repo.untracked_files
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 899, in repo
self._repo = self.newRepo()
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 963, in newRepo
repo = git.Repo.init(self.localRoot)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\git\repo\base.py”, line 1046, in init
git.init(**kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 638, in
return lambda *args, **kwargs: self._call_process(name, *args, **kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 1183, in _call_process
return self.execute(call, **exec_kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 983, in execute
raise GitCommandError(redacted_command, status, stderr_value, stdout_value)
git.exc.GitCommandError: Cmd(‘C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\MinGit\cmd\git.exe’) failed due to: exit code(128)
cmdline: C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\MinGit\cmd\git.exe init
stderr: ‘fatal: bad config line 1 in file //storage.its.york.ac.uk/pshome/lb1210/My Documents/Lydia/counterbalance1_10/.git/config’

If I go into the git folder and open the config file, it contains the following:

[core]
repositoryformatversion = 0
filemode = false

Anything else I can try?

Thanks,

Lydia

I sent the experiment from my windows laptop to my Mac, and managed to get it to run online! Thank you for the help.

Glad you found a solution! I wonder if it’s something specific to PyGit on Windows in that case… I’ll keep an eye out for similar bugs