Problem with collecting responses in text format

Hi,

I am using the standaIone 1.84.2 version on a windows 10. My aim is to present cue words to the participants and collect their memories in response to these cue words.

I am using the textentryexample created by Andrew Poppe which I got from the old psychopy google group.

I have two problems:

1. At first the text entry gor closed after 10 seconds. Since I need more elaborate memories I changed it in to 1000 seconds but that way, you cannot get to the second cue word until 1000 seconds finish. I tried to add a mouse click to end the routine for the current key word and go to the next one, but it does not work. Any suggestions?
  2. This current version does not save the final text input. I tried to use the solution offered by Michael MaAskill on the group but it did not work. How can I made it to save the final text data?

Attached you can find the version I am using.
blocks.xlsx (7.9 KB)
cues.xlsx (7.9 KB)
textEntryExample.psyexp (12.9 KB)

Iā€™m kind of curious as to why you wouldnā€™t just copy and modify the text entry methods you have for your other experiment, which also allows for Turkish characters and saves correctly.

The only thing you would have to do to is leave the duration of the keyboard and the Text stimulus blank, since return already ends the routine.

Why reinvent the wheel? Hereā€™s the same thing again just with the text stimulus and keyboard set to show until ā€œreturnā€ is pressed.

innerConditions.xlsx (9.5 KB)
blocks.xlsx (27.5 KB)
experiment1ldwopract (copy).psyexp (100.5 KB)

Hi Daniel,

I have two reasons for that:

For this part of the experiment, I need to show a cue word like ā€œhappyā€ for 1 second, and then collect the autobiographical memories triggered by this cue word. So I want the participants to be able to write as long as they need.

With this version, I cannot use the space key, so everything becomes one long word and I cannot show the cue first and have the text entry second. I am pretty sure these two problems are easy to solve but as you already know I am pretyy bad with this stuff. ( A hidden third reason may be that after asking a thousand questions to you, I am a little ashamed to ask more questions)

With the version I tried to use, I can use Turkish characters, space key and can show the cue separately, but this time I have the problems I stated above.

Right, so to allow for the space character, all you have to do is add ā€˜spaceā€™: uā€™ ā€™ to your dictionary of keys in the setup routine (turkishKeyMap, or the dictionaries for other computers, etc.). Remember that all that means is that when the keyboard sends the key ā€˜spaceā€™, it should be displayed as ā€™ ā€™ (a space character).

To give them all the time they need, you only have to leave the ā€˜Stopā€™ entry blank on the settings for the text stim and the keyboard.

To show the stimulus first and then allow them to type, you just add a simple routine with a text stim thatā€™s visible for one second, like you have in the experiment you posted here.

It really seems like you need to invest a little more time into understanding how psychopy (and python) works. I certainly understand itā€™s overwhelming and we all have deadlines, but whenever we give you help with these things, itā€™s really going to be better for you to analyze what weā€™ve done and understand it (or at least a portion more than you would have). If you donā€™t understand it, you can ask us about how something works (after consulting the online help) because then your learning make our time better invested. Otherwise youā€™re going to be completely dependent on us.

So here is what I believe youā€™re trying to do, and all I did was copy paste from the old experiment, and adjust the names in the code for some of the stimuli. My recommendation this time is, instead of editing what Iā€™m giving you now, make a blank experiment, and create the experiment components by hand, copying what I did here. When you reach something and you donā€™t know what it means, you can look it up, and then if still no dice, let us know.

conditions.xlsx (4.4 KB)
cueTyping.psyexp (10.3 KB)

1 Like